Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Time for Change

About a year ago, I decided I needed to move my sewing stuff out of my quilting studio.  As piecing and quilting used entirely different tools, I was spending a fair amount of time setting up and breaking down projects.  As time was not something I had an abundance of, I knew there needed to be a change.

I have a room that is part of a garage conversion that was not being utilized so I decided to move in there. The room itself is a bit of a cave.  Being an old garage, you step down into it and it has a low ceiling.  As it is an interior room, there are also no windows. The plus about this room is it is so wonderfully quiet in there.  And without the windows, there is space for two designs walls.  I really am able to unhook from all demands and focus when I am working in there.



But really......

This week I got a really good look at this space I call a sewingroom and realized that it is not the environment of creativity that I want. 

I am embarrassed to show these pictures.  It is amazing I get anything done....





This is actually my cutting table.  As you can see there is no room to work here so I am now cutting on my coffee table in the livingroom!

It is about time I spend some money and energy getting this room fixed up so it is more organized and productive.  I will be sharing my progress and posting the design ideas I implement as I go.  I guess you can say this will be my Work In Progress for a while.





First off will be paint.  I have always wanted a purple room so I think I am going with these two shades and white for the trim and ceiling. These colors will only show on two walls as the others are covered with white designs walls.
So say good bye to this sad space.  It is time I have the beautiful environment I deserve.  I have been busy planning storage ideas but if you have any cool organizing tricks you want to share, I would love to hear about them.               
  Stay tuned....

6 comments:

DownHome Designs said...

Cyndy, I'll be watching to see what you do with this. I seriously need to get my room organized. I've done some work in there recently, but much more is needed, especially since I will soon be reinstalling the bunk beds in there and will have less room for my stuff. BTW, this really doesn't look all that messy, just a little cluttered. : )

Jenny Bonynge said...

Sounds like a great idea and one that you certainly deserve! Purple & lavender...nice choices. Good luck with the organizing as it seems like an ongoing endeavor for most of us. I look forward to seeing what works for you... :0)

Lynette said...

Woohoo!! It's going to be fun creating th new look.

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

Cindy, when we were renovating our condo last year, I had an opportunity to design my quilt studio from scratch. I did a lot of research for storage and organization ideas online and by looking through old issues of Studios magazine. You can see my new studio on my blog. http://www.terryaskeartquilts.com/Studio/my-quilt-studio/

I love the wall colors you've selected. I'm very jealous of all your wall space for design walls, as I have very little wall space. I'm looking forward to seeing how your studio project progresses.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, purple! One of my favorites. I don't have any ground breaking tips for organization, but I've heard the some quilters like cd storage shelves from Ikea for storing/displaying fabric. As for me, I made a wall of shelves from mdf that holds baskets with fabric in it (when it's not all over my cutting table, ironing board, floor ... )

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks...I actually just bought a locker unit that I spent most of today spray painting lavender. I think it is going to be very cool- especially having doors!

01 09 10