Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Star Light Star Bright QAL – HSTs

This weeks assignment for the Star Light Star Bright Quilt Along at Happy Quilting was to sew up all the MANY half square triangles.

Before the triangles could be sewn, a final color placement needed to be determined to know what fabrics to sew together.  With this QAL, there are lots of placement options and I have to admit, I agonized for days on this.



Melissa thoughtfully supplied some coloring sheets to assist with the layout but as I am a very visual person, I ended up putting the entire quilt up on a design wall  and played with various layouts.




One of the fabrics I am using are circles printed in lots of colors.  There were a few blocks I changed as the contrast was not strong enough.

I love the blocks though and hope to find another use for them in the future.






Trimming up all those HSTs was a breeze with my Bloc Loc ruler.   The task is still tedious though so watching the Olympics definitely helped.






http://happyquiltingmelissa.blogspot.com/p/quilt-longs.html

Hurray...my half square triangles are done and I'm awaiting next week's assignment!






http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/5198185

I will be sharing this with the following linky parties. Linky Tuesday at Freemotion by the River, Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts, WIP Wednesday with Freshly Pieced and Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story.  Be sure and check out these blogs for even more quilty inspiration.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely need to get one of those Bloc Loc rulers!

Melissa Corry said...

I so love those rulers ;) They really do make it a little less tedious, and I too have been loving having the Olympics to watch while working on this. Your HST's look fantastic!!! Great job!!

Vicki in MN said...

Oh yes I love my bloc loc rulers too! It'll be fun to see your final project!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of a Bloc Loc ruler- what am i missing out on?

Terri said...

Love the colors you chose... your prints are so interesting.
Hugs

Dawn said...

Not sure if I would have that much patience, youve done a good job

Lorna McMahon said...

You are a diligent HST maker, Cynthia! You deserve a gold medal! They look great!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Cute blocks and that circle fabric is neat! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

CityHouseStudio said...

Interesting ruler -- I never knew this existed! Thanks!!!

thebutterflyquilter said...

That fabric looks fantastic. I thought you stitched all the circles! LOL

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

oh how fun! Can't wait to see them come together. :)

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

Reading your blog message was as if you were reading my mind when I was working on my HSTs. I too agonized on the fabric selection and as you know I had to put mine on my design board because I too am such a visionary! I trimmed mine through watching the Olympics and watching several shows of Dowtown Abbey. After all said I can't wait to see your quilt come together. Love the fabric, design and colors!

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

Interesting ruler! Does it help to keep the ruler from sliding? I had a difficult time keeping the diagonal line of the ruler on the seam line of the HST.

Lindsey said...

I seriously need to try that ruler out! Especially with all the HST's I have been making lately! :) I can't wait to see how your quilt turns out!

Would love for you to stop by tomorrow and link this up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
-Lindsey
Fabric Frenzy Friday

Wendy said...

that's a lot of HSTs! Is the ruler helpful because it's the same size as the HSTs? I'm thinking of investing in a square ruler, but don't want to have to buy one for every block and HST size I might use!

01 09 10