I have learned over the years that I advance the most when I challenge myself. So as I was planning my three little letters quilts, on one set of letters, I tried really hard to set myself up for a test that I wasn't sure I would be able to work myself out of.
This fun letters quilt turned out beautifully. It was straight forward piecing, nothing challenging about the colors or the layout. I ended up doing a lot of the piecing as a leaders and enders project because I was kinda bored with it.
This second quilt was a bit more challenging. It helped to remind me to not make quick decisions just based on a single block and because I was using scraps of solids, I was limited on my color choices so getting the blocks of colors to flow somewhat was a bit of a puzzle. I enjoyed making it.
Then, there were these blocks...
Even though no one was watching me if I cheated, I had a rule that I must pull a fabric from the dark pile and a fabric from the low volume pile and sew them up together in a block- no matter how bad they looked. I wanted to see if I could take the resulting blocks and make a decent looking quilt from them (Truthfully, with each block I finished, I felt like I was just setting myself up to fail!)
Having completed the first two quilts in straight froward layouts, I wanted to try and use the letters around the border of this last quilt. Which left me the center...
As I looked around my sewing room, I saw my overflowing bin of leftover bindings and inspiration struck! Not much cutting....works for me!!
I did start by figuring out the outer border first so I knew what size I needed to make the center. I was able to get the letters to flow perfectly around the entire quilt. I used some Kona Ash gray to border the letters. This helped to unify the look.
Then it was just a matter of sewing the strips together. (Jasmine, if only you had posted your race quilt formula a few days earlier!) Some of the strips I joined at a 45 degree angle and some I used a small Kona Ash square. No reason for the square, there were just some already cut sitting on my cutting mat.
I even used a big piece of unloved fabric on the back and spruced it up by adding a fun pink print to the sides.
With the exception of a bit of gray, the entire quilt came from the scrap bin. While she might not win any prizes in a quilt show, I have to say I adore this quilt. I challenged myself and I think I came away a winner!
And this quilt achieves my January goal with A Lovely Year of Finishes over at Sew Bittersweet Designs! Oh Happy Day - starting the year out right!
If you are interested in more ways to follow me, you can find me on Craftsy, Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', Feedly, Instagram, Google +, or get my blog sent right to your email inbox by entering your email address on the right sidebar!