Last week, I received an email from my good friend Sandra that she nominated my blog for the One Lovely Blog Award. She is so very supportive and I was immensely touched that she granted this honor to me.
I don't always participate in these "chain letter" type awards but I do like how this one works. Really, all I am doing is basically recommending other blogs to my readers (which I do already) and telling you a little about myself. I think this is a great opportunity to share those blogs that we think are lovely - especially those newer ones that maybe haven't been discovered yet.
So to accept this award from Sandra - I need to do three things.
First, is to acknowledge who nominated me. Sandra blogs over at Musings of a Menopausal Melon and has been mentioned on my blog many times. She is someone that I thinks deserves the One Lovely Person Award!
Second, I need to share 7 things about myself. This is the hardest part! I am a very private person so I am really operating outside of my box here.
1. I am one of the lucky ones that fully support myself working in the quilting industry. I longarm quilt, teach classes, sell patterns independently and to various publications and have quilts for sale. It is a ton of work and I don't always get the best pay for all I do but it is very rewarding. I feel blessed.
2. My 4 year old car has just over 10K miles on it - I rarely leave my home. While I can function just fine out and about in the world (my local friends can quit laughing now), I really enjoy my time at my house. My 3 vintage sewing machines on the other hand I probably put over 10K miles on each year! Meet Wee Willie, Sparky and Lucy. Pete is my longarm and will probably be hurt that he is not picture.
3. I love to garden - Flowers mostly. I have a softspot for daylilies and have over 30 varieties.
To have more space to garden, I have taken out all the lawn at my home except in the front of my house. Everywhere else is flower beds and pathways.
4. Growing up, I adored my grandfather (german farmer) and spent as much time as I could by his side. He was able to fix anything! And he made sure he passed that ability on to me. The only thing I am a bit hesitant around is electricity (due to some bad experiences) but I love plumbing!
5. I am a terrible cook!
6. I used to wear a business suit to work every day and for years managed a manufacturing business that employed over 500 people. I still know a lot about running a business but I traded in the suit for jeans and t-shirts. I am much happier. Poorer...but happier!
7. Before I got into quilting, I used to create with mosaic tiles. I made both large and small items. Believe me, fabric is SO much cleaner to work with!
Now onto the third item I need to do - and the one I am most excited about. I enjoy a number of blogs for a lot of reasons but I picked these 10 to share today. I will let each blogger decide if they want to accept the award and participate. They are in no particular order. Enjoy!