Tuesday, June 14, 2016

So Splendid

I have still been making progress with my Splendid Sampler blocks.  Over the last month, many of the block designs that were released I feel were not going to work for my sampler.  They were great designs but I want my blocks to be all pieced.



 Here are the blocks I added since my last splendid post.  The two upper blocks are not actual splendid blocks.  The green one I found on the Quiltmaker's sampler quilt design and the string block is my interpretation of the splendid selvage block.




I have been thinking a bit about how I might lay these blocks out.  I expect I will be falling short of 100 total blocks so that gives me a little more freedom to spread them out a bit and not end up with a ginormous quilt.  I am thinking about creating a center medallion with the heart and flower blocks then placing the rest of the blocks on point.  Not sure yet what color sashing I will add but I am leaning toward a dark teal.  If you have some suggestions, I would love to hear about them!



Linking Up:


10 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

looking good! i agree, some of them weren't my taste either...i started saving the blocks but then gave up as 365 is a BIG committment, so went that route....

Julie said...

I would do a center medallion, but not use any of these blocks for it. Have it be something YOU designed. Then set your blocks around it with sashing. It would be stunning with your blocks. Your colors are just wonderful!!

Lena Pugacheva said...

Beautiful blocks and such vibrant colors! I love samplers with on-point layout, I would personally make a special large block for the center. In the other hand, I've seeing a lot of alternative grid samplers, which could be also fun to play with.

PaulaB quilts said...

Becuase the color scheme is floral and tropical, to carry that through I agree that dark teal or purple would maintain the same feeling, not neutrals. The medallion setting is a perfect focal point however I agree that it could be more emphatic. The bouquet is not in the same feeling as the other blocks and the colors and pattern seem too small and pale from the photo view. All the other blocks are basically geometric patterns and stronger. I'm sure you will come up with a winner when you finally decide.

June D said...

These are beautiful. Your fabrics make the blocks very lively.

Allison said...

Very rarely is there a sampler quilt out there that I like all the blocks in it... I think picking your favorites is what makes it your own. Oh... it sounds like a really nice and interesting contrast to use a dark teal - fun! Great colors!

Ruth said...

I really like your plan of making what works for you and your layout ideas sound perfect to me!

Turid said...

I love all your blocks, they are so bright and happy.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I have been enjoying your color choices in these blocks all the way along! Now it's fun to see them together! That is looking like a fun layout, too.

Anonymous said...

I laugh everytime I see your blog title. I would add meal planning too. My husband asks,
why we always have leftovers, and never firsts?

01 09 10