Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Getting Re-Focused!

This summer I found myself getting involved in a number of Quilt Alongs and new projects.  That meant many of the older works were stuffed in bins and neglected. 

I am now working at getting back to many of them and finishing a few!



Remember these Scrap-A-Palooza blocks?  The last time I wrote about them was way back in May.
I am ready now to get back to these cuties.













I think I have enough blocks finished to go to the next step.  But first, I have to get them up on a design wall.


The goal of this process will be to have an improv quilt.  What I hope to achieve is to share a simplified process for those of you that express fear or doubt that you can do it.


Note that all of my blocks are different sizes, different designs and even different techniques.  When I am laying them out, I simply want to somewhat balance out the color.














Next, I added a few scraps of fabrics to fill in spaces and further balance out the color.  You don't have to be exact here - just trust your eye.  You can add more later as you go.


Even though none of the blocks are lined up, you can see that they are kind of layed out in a 3 x 5 layout.






Now I need to settle on a background.  I have no idea how much fabric I am going to need but I want to be sure I have enough so I don't run out.  I am thinking I will need at least three yards.  Here are four I am considering - white, cerise, shadow and tarragon.  I keep bolts of all these colors so I have plenty.

I think too many blocks will disappear in the green so that one is out right away.  The white and the gray - Maybe.  I am really tempted to use the dark turquoise.  Maybe I will go to my stash and see if I have a bit lighter shade.  What are your thoughts?

I will be back with the next steps as soon as I make a decision...






Linking Up:

Freemotion by the River (Linky Tuesday)
She can quilt (Scraptastic Tuesday) 

15 comments:

Chris K. said...

I vote for the turquoise. Absolutely.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like the turquoise color, too! It seems like it will be q good contrast to the bright colors of the blocks. I'm enjoying seeing inside your process!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

That turquoise is the one, like everyone else said. The other colors would be calm and serene, while the turquoise would add some life and pop to it.

Cheryl said...

Torquoise, absolutely.

Anonymous said...

I vote for the turquoise, too! :)

chrisknits said...

I think the blue would be perfect!

marebear said...

Absolutely stick with the turquoise blue. Your quilt is predominantly cool colors and the blue with be in the same color family.

Jo said...

The grey will sink into the background but I love the turquoise

Judy H said...

Turquoise! I love watching your design process. I have a big box of orphan blocks and will start figuring out what to do with them soon.

Pamela Arbour said...

Looking forward to the next step. I know you will find just the right fabrics. Thanks for sharing your process.

em's scrapbag said...

Looking forward to watching this progress. What fun blocks.

Julie said...

I wonder if you could use a mix of the white/turquoise and throw some other low volue in too. Looking forward to seeing how it all progresses. Thanks for linking to Sew, Stitch, Snap, SHARE.

Kate said...

I like the dark turquoise. It would be a "different" choice.

Nicky said...

I love the green but then it's my fav colour! Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday we will be picking winners later in the week thanks to Finish-A-Long

Anonymous said...

I think you're right about the turquoise. It will be fun watching this come together!

01 09 10