With only about 2 months until Christmas, I thought I had better get working on a few small holiday gifts. As I was sewing a mini charm pack of Aspen Frost I had won in a giveaway from Clothstitched into a couple of potholders, I thought I would share a few tricks I use to make mine.
I used to quilt my potholders through a 4 layer sandwich consiting of the top, cotton batting, Insul-brite and the backing. I found that when I perforated the Insul-brite with quilting, it seemed to allow some heat and steam to come through the potholder into my hand.
I now just quilt the top layer and the cotton batting together.
I then just layer the quilted top to the Insul-brite and the backing and stay stitch the edges to to make it easier to apply the binding.
And because I am TERRIBLE at machine sewing bindings, I use a decorative zigzag stitch rather than a straight stitch so if I miss a small area of the binding on the backside, the binding will still get caught in some of the stitches.
I make and attach my bindings similar to how I attach it on a quilt. I just start and stop the binding in a corner. I tri-fold and topstitch a bit more of the binding and loop it back to catch it under the binding when I sew it to the back. To do this, I topstitch the tab first, pin in the tab under the binding then machine sew the binding around the potholder using a zig zag stitch.
Because I don't quilt all the way through all the layers, the backs of my potholders have no stitching.
I really like the clean look they have. I have some I have used for years and I have not had any problems with laundering or use.
So now it is back to my sewing room to sew up the binding on the second potholder and I have another holiday gift in the "Done" pile. Yay!
Hope you are making progress on your holiday sewing. I always suggest making potholders. They are easy and fast and always seem to be a welcome gift.