Thursday, January 2, 2014

Lovely Year of Finishes - January Goal

To assist me in meeting my resolution to finish the year with fewer works in process, I will be taking part in Sew Bittersweet Designs' Lovely Year of Finishes for 2014.  Each month I hope to make and achieve a goal that will get me closer to getting something old completed.



For January, I am choosing this project that has been on and off my design wall for quite a few months now.  It is not an old UFO but I can certainly see it becoming one.  So rather than just repeating an old habit and tucking it away in some drawer to find years later, I am determined to finish it this month.


This is not actually something I pieced together.  A quilting customer of mine decided a quilt was too long and trimmed off a substantial portion of her quilt.  When she dropped off her quilt to be quilted, she asked if I could figure out something to do with the trimmed parts.


I always love giving new life to things that would have otherwise been tossed, but I will say this one has it's added challenges.  Because the quilt was just trimmed off and the seams not ripped out, there are large chunks cut from the pieces. There are also a number of odd shaped half triangles I want to work in somehow.




ALYoF2014



I do like this last layout I have up on the wall.  I think if I just trim up the blocks, strategically add some black sashing and pull some black and white scraps to fill in the voids, I think I can have this one pieced and quilted by the end of January!






(...Yeesh, I sure sound pretty confident!  My biggest challenge on this one is working with this much yellow!  Not a big fan...)

http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/5198185

To hold myself accountable, I'm sharing this goal with Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation and Really Random Thursday at Live a Colorful Life.  I will also be linking to the ALYOF Goals Linky Party.  You can follow me there and see what are others are committing to.

5 comments:

Pam @ Quilting Fun said...

Happy New Year! You have chosen a challenge for the first month! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

HeatherK @ A Reformed Heath'n said...

Way to take on a challenge. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I chose a baby quilt. I have to make the sandwich and quilt it!

Michele said...

Good luck!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

It's so cool that you have been able to arrange those pieces into something so cool! I really like how the triangle tips make a star pattern.

Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday and Happy New Year!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

01 09 10