About 5 years ago, I quit pre-washing my fabrics. Nor do I use color catchers. Even with all the quilts I sew up each year, it is rarely that I have an issue with dyes bleeding in today's fabric.
But every once in a while....
I'll be honest, I was hoping this would happen some day so I could share a product that I find to be a perfect fix for these annoying disasters. It is in this little bottle labeled Synthrapol.
I usually always check my quilts when they come out of the washer the first time, but on this quilt, I didn't see that the fabrics had ran until I had dried it in a hot dryer.
(Gasp...OK, that made me a bit nervous!)
But I quickly just threw it back into the washing machine with a teaspoon or two of this product and gave it a warm wash with a cold rinse. I was very pleased to see that all the dye was gone and the quilt was perfect again!
Then to really test that all the excess dyes had been removed, I washed it again and left the quilt scrunched up in the washer for about 3 hours. Yep...I was willing to take one for the team!
There were no problems whatsoever!
I get this little product at my local fabric store. So next time you are doing a little stash shopping, be sure and pick up a bottle to have on hand. It usually runs about $4 and will save you from some possible heartache in the future.
(BTW - I think the darkest blue on the edge is the fabric that ran. It was a scrap I had and is not a Kona solid. I am not even sure where it came from.)