Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Mark Your Calendars for the Quilty Orphan Adoption Event!

Back in June, I hosted an Orphan Adoption event.   Eleven very generous quilters linked up projects they had started but had fallen out of love with.  Twelve projects were put up for "adoption" and sent out for others to finish - many with the intent that they get donated to charities.  How great is that!



In fact, here is a quilt that was finished by Quilts by Joanne from some orphan blocks donated by Work In Progress Girl.  What was languishing on a shelf is now ready to be loved!


Quilting is more fun than Housework


I am pleased to announce that I will be holding the event again in September - September 18th through the 20th to be exact.

I would love any and all help getting the word out.  Feel free to grab the button off the right blog margin if you like.






 
It is sometimes really hard to abandon a project that you have invested time and money in or to toss a stack of orphan blocks that you know you will not use yourself.  So they languish for sometimes years and weigh heavily.  This event allows you to put those items up for adoption and let someone else finish them up for you.  You can even ask that the finished quilt be donated to a charity if that helps you to part with the item.



Having put up for adoption a project in June that made me cringe whenever I thought about finishing it, once it was boxed up and shipped, it was a huge burden off me.  I found myself reconsidering many of my older projects because there were so many people ready to finish them for so many great organizations!


Quilty Orphan Adoption Event
Starts September 18, 2015


I will be hosting a linky party starting Friday September 18th (and closing on Sunday September 20th) where you are welcome to link up your own blog post sharing a project you wish to abandon or orphan blocks you wish to pass on.  You can offer as little or as much as you want.  It can be blocks, patterns, kits, fabric, quilt top - anything that you hope someone else will use and you wish to alleviate the burden.

Here are some details:

1.  I am going to ask that any "orphan" linked up must be given away for free.  (If you are wanting to destash for money, there are other venues to do that on.)  I think it is fair that if you need to, you can ask that shipping costs be paid.  Just be sure and put that information clearly in your post.  And know that both parties enter into the deal at their own risk.  I hold no responsibility.

2. Have clear pictures and descriptions on what you are putting up for adoption.

3. Define the criteria for how you will decide who will adopt the item.  Is it a random number giveaway, do you only want it to go to charity, or is there some other criteria that needs to be met?

4.  Be sure and identify where you are located and where you are willing to ship to.

5. Define how long you are keeping the adoption open and when you expect to award the adoption.


I have another whole project picked out that I will be putting up for adoption (because passing on that first one felt so good!).  I know there will be someone who will give it some attention and finish it up.  And I will be so happy to cross it off my list and move on to a more inspiring project!

If you are curious what was linked up last time, I have reposted the links below even though all the adoptions are closed.  Thanks again to all the quilters that participated in the past.  Hopefully we can get some more projects finished up!





Note:  If you were awarded an orphan item from the last event, I would love it if you can send me any finished or in-process pictures.  I would love to share them with my readers.


Linking Up:





10 comments:

lalaluu said...

So glad I could participate last time! I'll try to get out the word for this next go-round. Great to see a finished project using orphan blocks! This is a great way to clean out your quilting space, and instead of tossing the unfinished project, you're giving it to someone who will complete the project. It feels great!

Lara B. said...

How fun to see Joanne's Adopted quilt project!
What you are saying about a sense of relief and a burden being removed was so true for me too Cyndy. It was wonderful to know that my winner was so delighted with the project, whereas it was just a source of guilt for me. I definitely will be participating again! Already added your button to BuzzinBumble too.
I'm so glad you will be hosting this again - it is a great idea!

Kat said...

Whoo hoo! Looking forward to it! Last time I was able to get the set of cat blocks and turn them in to a finished quilt. Would love to apply for some more orphans :)
http://katandcatquilts.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-cats-meow-quilt-in-memory.html

Allison said...

What a great idea! And I really like the finished quilt at the top of the post! Isn't it funny how our interest in a particular quilt top can fade after the initial enthusiasm! (Found your thumbnail at Let's Bee Social)

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

What a great idea. Better that a quilt be loved than sitting around waiting to be finished.

em's scrapbag said...

What a great idea. We have done something like this in our guild. It was a lot of fun

Heidi said...

I am planning to participate in September and added your button to my blog - just have to figure out which project to let go of! It is such a great idea, thank you!

Angie in SoCal said...

What a great motivating idea. I'll be thinking about it. In the meantime, I'll add the button to my blog. Love the quilt that was finished.

Anonymous said...

I did post about it on QuiltBOM. It's a great idea. I'll have to look through what I have to see if there's anything I want to have adopted.

LoveSewHard said...

Hi - I have a few things that I would like to send out for adoption. I do not have a blog set up at this time
Could you please advise me as to what I need to do to make this happen? Much appreciated _ camille

01 09 10