Friday, December 2, 2016

My Coffee House Finish

Back at the beginning of November, I announced I had been chosen by Henry Glass Fabrics to participate in their Desire to Inspire Challenge



In a matter of days, I received all these fabrics from the Coffee House collection designed by Debi Hron.  I had until the end of November to get some projects done!











I started by cutting up the little panels.  There were six different designs which I trimmed just 1/4" larger than the printed edges (for seam allowances).  As with every panel I have ever used, they were all slightly different sizes.  So I always like to add a frame and then trim them up consistently.




Rather than go right into a print frame, I decided to piece in a thin solid black strip. 



I used three of the smaller prints that were sent to me and framed up 12 of the panels.









Just like the ceramic cups in my cupboard, I wanted these panels to be stacked crookedly.





I thought I would share how I did this....













The first step is to sew a nice wide frame around your blocks.  I think I added 4" to each side with a chocolate brown solid.  I slanted the blocks how I wanted them and drew some lines in chalk where I wanted them joined.  You can see the chalk lines run right at the corners of those inner frames.  Now I can pull them down to cut them, remembering to add a quarter inch seam allowance.









When you sew them up, they will look a little strange but don't worry - this is how they should look.























Next, you trim them to a consistent width.  This is the step you will probably wish you had attached wider solid frames to your blocks.  Just remember to not slant your panels too much and you should be okay.








I decided to simply sew some wide strips together to showcase all the fun prints in this collection.  I then cut two strips at about 4.5" wide off the strip sets to use as outer borders to add some color to the outer edges of the quilt.  This gives a great illusion to the quilt.




Here is a closeup of the fabrics and quilting for you!




It is all ready for a snuggle, a cuppa and a good book!




 I still had a number of the panels and some fabric scraps left over so I decided to make some nice big snack mats to share with lots of my quilty friends.  I simply added some scraps to just one side of each cut panel.  Each one is different!







How about it, are you ready to give this technique a try? 




A big thanks to Henry Glass Fabrics for hosting the event.  It happens every month so follow their blog and join in the fun one month!

















Linking Up:

My Quilt Infatuation (Needle & Thread)

27 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Adding the strips on the side border makes it look like your panels are floating! I do the same thing with little panels 'cause, like you said, they are never a consistent size. I really like the small black frame.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That quilt is adorable! The fabric is a lot of fun, plus I love the way you added interest by making the side panel blocks wonky! Cute finish, Cynthia! I've never been on their blog; I'll have to check it out.

allthingzsewn said...

I lovee the tumbling side blocks. I came over from Henry Glass. I'm still trying to get my straight sewing and points to line up. But I did save to my pinterest board to try the tumbling effect soon. Thanks for the sharing of making these.

Sue said...

Love it all! The tumbling side blocks really make it pop. The mug rugs are great, too.

Robby said...

Great use of some charming fabric. That thin black frame really helps show off the panel blocks.

Vicki in MN said...

That is one great looking quilt. I hope someday to be the lucky person to work with them!

Vera said...

Neat finish! It looks so comfy!

Jen said...

The tilting panels remind me of a stack of coffee mugs, just like you said! It is a fabulous fabric line. So warm and cozy. The strips on the outside of the quilt and on the side of the little mats add just the right amount of interest to the pieces. Great Job!

Jo said...

Thats a great way to put blocks from panels together. I'll keep,it in mind.

Clare M said...

Great way you have used this awesome fabric collection. Love the wonky blocks - could one say you're thinking "outside the box" ...lol.

Kate said...

A very fun setting for those panels. I've got a few of those in the stash and never know how to set them other than in rows. Beautifully done!

Leanne Parsons said...

The thin black frame around each panel was a great decision. It really helps define and unify them. Thanks for the instructions on how to make them stack too. You make it sound really easy :)

Louise said...

This turned out so great, Cynthia! I love the extra stripes of fabric along the outer edge. I use a LOT of panel fabrics for Project Linus quilts, and I'm inspired by your layout.

Thank you for writing up so clearly how you tilted the blocks. I've used a different technique that is more fiddly; I like your way better :)

Pamela said...

What an original idea for using those panels, I'll have to remember this neat trick - it makes a wonderful quilt.

Feathers in my Nest said...

Very clever layout & cute!

Jayne said...

I love a good 'wonk' to my blocks sometimes! Great finish and congrats on being the choosen designer!

moosecraft said...

This is a great design for these panels! Love those little snack mats too!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I love the fabric and your designs using it. LOVE IT!!

Mystic Quilter said...

What a great quilt and those mug rugs are beauties!

Lara B. said...

You did a great job creating fun pieces with those fabrics Cyndy!

Vic in NH said...

Such a creative spin on setting those coffee lover's blocks so whimsically! Kudos to you!

gayle said...

The fabric is adorable, and you just took it right over the top! Love those tipsy stacked panel blocks. (And thanks for the how-to!) What a lot of fun you've created!

Deb from frugal little bungalow said...

This is so cute ; I love the layout !!

claudia said...

Thank you! I have a few panels here that I wanted to make into a wall hanging but had no idea how to do them so they would look good! Now I know, thanks to you!!!

Jasmine said...

I love the layout of your stacked blocks! Plus your quilting looks like steam. :)

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

Very nice! Thanks for linking up to Finished or Not Friday.

Sandy Panagos said...

Wow! When I saw the fabrics I couldn't even begin to imaging what I would have made from them. Your quilt is adorable. SO creative. Great job!

01 09 10