Friday, June 2, 2017

It's Not Easy Working With Green

I have participated in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for at least a couple years now.  I have always used it as an opportunity to keep my scrap bins cleaned out and to make quilts for charity.  Even though I am always sewing with scraps, I have fabrics in my bins that are decades old.  I made up my mind in January that I was determined to purge a lot of them out this year.

It has been fairly easy to do until I got to May!


My green bin was in horrible shape!  It was filled to the brim and extremely picked over.  All of my favorite shades of green were gone and I was left with those tending toward gray or bright grass green.  I decided to just close my eyes and sew up quarter log cabin blocks.


Probably because I disliked all the scraps, I really did not like the blocks once they were finished.  Thanks to a lot of feedback from many of you, I was able to make some decisions and charge forward.  I did go ahead and use the striped fabric to sew a round of logs onto each block.

And thanks to Cathy (who inspires us all)  I went with a layout I had not previously considered.


 Here is my finished quilt.  I don't love it but it will keep somebody warm and snuggly.  It definitely has a masculine jive to it.




I had two choices for backing but because I see this probably going to a male, I chose these leaves over a floral print.

So now I can move onto June's color - which is yellow.  I met my objectives - my green bin is pretty much cleaned out of old fabrics and I now have another quilt for donation. 
I am over the moon about that!

(In fact, if Kat wants this one for Covered in Love, I can add it to the big stack of quilts being made for her May/June block drive.  It is all ready going to be a really big box!)





26 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Congrats on hanging in there are using the old ones up! Sometimes that is just really hard.

scarlett said...

All along when I saw your blocks, they were not my favorite, but NOW when it is all together, I love it.

You are an artist!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I have been having the same problem with my green scraps this week! Fortunately, I've been making string blocks and they seem to have worked out, but I still have a ton of green scraps that I don't like very much! Your quilt is going to be perfect for someone - you just never know!

Ariane said...

What a great finished quilt! I struggle with green also. But this quilt turned out beautifully! It will keep someone warm!

Kat said...

Green is a hard color because there are so many different shades and they don't match each other. Of course I'll take it! Unless you have somewhere else in mind who would be a better fit.

Cathy said...

Oh, I like that layout! It looks like camouflage. And it looks like a nice, cozy, comfy, cuddly donation quilt for someone. Congrats on the finish! And a wonderful use of scraps!!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I really Really like what you came up with! It sort of looks like army camo!

Robby said...

It turned into a great quilt, but golly is it hard to sew with fabric you just plain don't like. Congrats on constructively clearing that out!

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

I enjoy what you did with your greens. I tend to use my greens with either blues or lavenders. Your quilt top turned out quite nice. It will make someone very happy. --Andrea

Libby in TN said...

I understand where you're coming from and I commend you for sticking with it. Surely someone will appreciate it.

Jo said...

I think it is lovely. The colours have been spread well and the stripes join it all together. Well done.

Pamela Arbour said...

That turned out handsomely. My four boys would be willing to fight over it I am sure. Very nice and comfy. Congratulations!

Charlotta said...

I think it's a lovely green quilt. As is so often the case, while the individual fabrics might not be the greatest - I can't really tell from the picture and don't care, LOL - when you put lots of different ones together in a scrap quilt they somehow enhance each other and the composite scrappy look is better!

Cathy said...

What a great finish! Like yours, most of my greens were the fugly greens of the eighties and nineties. Isn't it wonderful to finally see them in the rear view mirror instead of our scrap bins? And to get a super quilt for donation in the process!! Woot, woot!

Louise said...

It's hard to work with fabrics you don't love anymore. But you made a lovely quilt that will surely make someone happy! I agree that it has a masculine vibe, and will be great for a nature lover: a hiker, maybe, or a gardener. And your green scrap bins must be deliciously empty now :)

Karen's Korner said...

Well done on sticking with the blocks and completing a lovely quilt. It is sure to be appreciated.

Barb Neiwert said...

Green is my least favorite color. In fact, I have only one green shirt, and I never wear it, lol! But you have truly made lemonade out of lemons, and you now have a cleaned out Green Bin and someone will enjoy this quilt. Well done!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats!! on clearing out the GREEN scrap bin and I hope you have a more enjoyable YELLOW month. Personally, I actually LOVE this quilt (but I'm a "green person"!!

Lindah said...

Green can be an interesting color to work with, especially by itself. Your striped fabric really perked up the greens, tho, and brought them to a happy level. Together, they sing a happy song. --And the stripe has added a new trick to my basket. And who knows? As the scorching summer sun turns my landscape from green to yellow, I may be thinking of making a green quilt, too. :-)

Vic in NH said...

The greens all seem to say Organic Garden and the finished quilt is handsome. good for you!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A bit of green stash busting - you have been busy! Great mix of greens and pattern, love that striped fabric too!

Nell's Quilts said...

A finished quilt is better than a pile of scraps. Good work sticking to it and getting it done.

scraphappy said...

It must feel great to move out all those oldies! Even though the fabrics are not your favorites anymore, someone else is sure to love them.

Mary Marcotte said...

I noticed my blue bin is spilling over again and was thinking I needed to do something before it gets too out-of-hand. This is a great idea. No pattern needed and not much in the way of cutting since I stack several and cut. There now, I'm convinced--it's the next quilt in the que!
Your green quilt is pretty awesome. You may not like the greens but the quilt handles them beautifully and that print is perfect for the backing. Yes perhaps a donation quilt but a thoughtful one!

Kate said...

Congratulations on cleaning out those older fabrics from your scrap bin and having another donation quilt all done.

Jasmine said...

I love the alternating layout you used with these blocks. It is a great masculine quilt.

01 09 10