Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Quilty Adoptions - Mark Your Calendar

The month of September is here and that means it is time for the bi-annual Quilty Adoption Event!


Twice a year, I host an event that enables quilters to link up an Instagram or blog post putting up  items for adoption.  It is time to clean out those sewing spaces and take a hard look at the projects and orphaned blocks that have been stuffed away and determine if they are worth finishing.  If you are ready to pass something on that you are no longer inspired by, there will be someone ready to take on your project and get it finished up!




Last spring, I decided to adopt out this puppy panel.  It had been in my stash for a couple years and I just didn't see myself doing anything with it.  



Puppy Quilt ~ From My Carolina Home


Carole over at From My Carolina Home was awarded the adoption and she turned it into this sweet little quilt  that was auctioned off at an event for an animal rescue organization.  You can read more about it here.  I was so happy it was finished up and donated to such a great cause!

I am not sure yet what I will be adopting out this year.  I have quite a few stacks of blocks that have been finished for years and I have done nothing with.  I think I will be choosing one of them to send off to a new home.

So how about you, are you ready to off load a project or a few blocks?  Below is some information on the upcoming event.  Just imagine what someone can do with them!




Quilting is more fun than Housework
Orphan Adoption Event
Starting September 14th

I will be hosting a linky party starting Thursday September 14th(and closing late Saturday the 17th) where you are welcome to link up your own blog post sharing a project you wish to abandon or orphan blocks you wish to pass on.  You can offer as little or as much as you want.  It can be blocks, patterns, kits, anything that you hope someone else will use and you wish to get rid of the burden.




Here are some details:

1.  I am going to ask that any "orphan" linked up must be given away for free.  (If you are wanting to destash for money, there are other venues to do that on.)  I think it is fair that if you need to, you can ask that shipping costs be paid.  Just be sure and put that information clearly in your post.  And know that both parties enter into the deal at their own risk.  I hold no responsibility.

2. Have clear pictures and descriptions on what you are putting up for adoption.

3. Define the criteria for how you will decide who will adopt the item.  Is it a random number giveaway, do you only want it to go to charity, or is there some other criteria that needs to be met?

4.  Be sure and identify where you are located and where you are willing to ship to.

5. Define how long you are keeping the adoption open and when you expect to award the adoption. (You do not need to close your adoption on Saturday - you just need to link up by then.)



Last Spring, there were over a dozen WIPs that found new homes.  Many were adopted by quilters who were finishing them for various charities.  If you are curious what was linked up last time, here is a link even though all the adoptions are closed.

Thanks again to all the quilters that participated in the past.  If you adopted a project in the past, I would love it if you shared a photo!


8 comments:

Lisa England said...

I have enjoyed this event in the past. Here are links to two of my adoptions that were made into finished quilts for charity.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/quilts_by_lisa/33901126746
https://www.flickr.com/photos/quilts_by_lisa/25870894710

Jayne said...

Oh good! I love seeing adoption blocks! Wish I had some to offer, but I'll be watching regardless!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Thank you for featuring the Puppy Quilt, it was such a fun way to raise money for animal rescue.

Tami Von Zalez said...

I will join in! I did last year and met a wonderful quilter who snagged my patriotic precuts.

Turid said...

I'll try to seek through my blocks. I'm so inspired by Lisa Marie and her quilts from the orphan blocks.

Charlotta said...

Am I correct that tommow you'll provide the link we need to link up our offerings? I have at least one, though I haven't managed to design my Instagram post yet. I'm no good at stuff like that, but hopefully I'll get it done tonight so I can link up tomorrow. I might even have another project as well if I manage to post the first. Let's see!

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

This is a great idea!

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

I put a shout-out to your Adopt program on tomorrow's Finished or Not Friday Linky party.

01 09 10