Sunday, November 23, 2014

Cornerstone Choices

With the patterns for the alphabet blocks being released out to the letter W (at Temecula Quilts), I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on my three quilts.  While I am still only up to the letter U, I am starting to finalize how I am going to finish each one up.




Here is how the blue one looks all laid out on the design wall.  I plan on making some sort of quilt block spacer for the open areas.


I am going to use up a bunch of solid white scraps for all the sashing but I plan on adding some colorful cornerstones.  Here is where you can help me out.  I have three choices and I like them all for different reasons.  

1. Orchid purple shot cotton: I like that it brings out the subtle purple in some of the blocks but I am concerned it will draw the eye too much.

2. Teal solid: I like this color with most of the blocks.  To me though, it just seems a bit boring.

3.Gray/white hourglass block: I have a bunch of these blocks already trimmed to 2" so they can be easily added.  I still plan on using white for the sashing so would the pieced blocks be distracting?

I would love to hear what you think!



If you are interested in more ways to follow me, you can find me on Craftsy, Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', Feedly, Instagram, Google +, or get my blog sent right to your email inbox by entering your email address on the right sidebar! 
Want to Play Along?Linking up:

17 comments:

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

Wow, you have made great progress on your letters! Those are all great options for the cornerstones... I would personally lean toward an every other teal / hourglass combo. I really like how they play together, and that would cut down on how much the hourglass draws your eye. Good luck deciding what works best for you!

Jasmine said...

I personally like the solids. The orchid would work if it was balanced by a border or binding. But I also like the teal.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

At first I didn't think I would like the cornerstones at all, but then I saw the alphabet quilt posted on another blog and saw how the cornerstones look in the finished quilt. Then I was hooked! I vote for the teal!

Sheryl said...

I like how the letters look without cornerstones, but if that's what you want is go with the white and grey hourglasses. The letters are so good that I wouldn't want too much to distract from it.

SewPsyched! said...

I really really love the orchid! I think it adds such interest, but doesnt draw the eye away from the letters. the teal doesnt stand out enough, and the hour glasses are more cottage'y'. But that's not a bad thing, just depends on what you're going for ;) BTW, adore the fabrics you chose for the letters!! XX!

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

I like the teal... if you're worried it's too boring, then maybe a teal blender so it has a bit of pattern to it?

charlotte said...

Love the orchid. What a pop of color that would be!

Karen H said...

The hourglass blocks sound like a good idea to me. I find that the eye is drawn to solids so if they are in the border it may take away from the alphabet blocks!

Kathy S. said...

I love the orchid. I'm not sure if I care for the hourglass blocks in it. It may distract from all the cute letters. I am doing this QA too. I am using different colors of what I made the letters from. You can find it at new2quilting.blogspot.com. I added them as I finished a row.

Rachel said...

I like the hourglass blocks the best I think, with the runner up being the teal. I think the purple is a bit distracting when the adjacent blocks don't have any purple. Looking good!

Stitchin At Home said...

I like the hourglass blocks best. I think they would give the right amount of punch without taking away from the letter blocks.

Sandra Walker said...

My first "like" was the purple. It gives it a little pop, but maybe too much as you say. Then I really do like (and perhaps more so) the teal, as it fits with the calm feel of the quilt. Not a fan of the gray hourglass blocks, too bad, as they're ready to go!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Your letters look great! I like the hourglass...esp. since you already have some done! SCORE!

mpv61 said...

I like the purple. The teal clashes with some of the greens and is too close to some of the others. The hourglass would break things up more than unifying them, I think.

However, reading the other comments, we viewers are all over the place -- no consensus here!!

Barb Neiwert said...

Here's my two cents' worth: I like teal!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

To throw a wrench in your votes - mix them up? and use them all?

Cathy said...

You're making great progress with this one. I'll be honest, when I first looked at the picture, I didn't even SEE the teal and hourglass blocks. The purple adds just the right amount of pop. And as someone else stated, if you balance it with the borders, I think it will be perfect. The teal and hourglass blocks don't have enough "pop."

01 09 10