Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt #11 Part One

That's right!  Bring on the 11th Scrap-A-Palooza quilt for 2014.  You might think I am out of scraps or ideas but my mind and sewing room seems to be bursting with both!

The inspiration for this month's quilt stems from a need to get a few more baby quilts in my Etsy Shop.  I thought I would pull one of the bags of cohesive scraps I was saving and make an improv quilt.  But my problem with improv quilts is they seem to take such a long time to put together.

So I thought I would add a bit of structure in the quilt by using some magic numbers in my block sizes to make the quilt easier (and faster!) to assemble.




For the fabrics, I thought I would add a few solids from my stash to these leftover fabrics from an old project.  They are beautiful organic Birch Fabrics by Dan Stiles.

And just what are magic number blocks you ask?  Rather than create a bunch of blocks in haphazard sizes, a combination of sizes that fit together easily are used.  Some examples would be 2", 4" and 8" or maybe 4", 8" and 16".  I have decided to use a 3", 6" and 12" sequence so blocks with measurements in these combinations (even rectangles) will fit together in endless arrangements.

I will be back in about a week with Part Two where I will be sharing how I assemble the blocks.  Hope to see you then!



If you are interested in more ways to follow me, you can find me on Craftsy, Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', Feedly, Instagram, Google +, or get my blog sent right to your email inbox by entering your email address on the right sidebar! 
 
Linking up:
 

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I love your fabric pull! Blue and orange are at the heart of one of my favorite baby color schemes and those solids are perfect!

Andrea @ Mouse in My Pocket said...

These fabrics are lovely together. I'm sure the finished quilt will look amazing.

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

Your fabric pull is gorgeous! I am looking forward to seeing another quilt come together.

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

Love those prints! The colours drew me over from Let's Bee Social. Looking forward to seeing it come together in future posts!

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

I love the colors. Can't wait to see it come together!

01 09 10