Monday, June 8, 2015

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt #16 Part One

I have expressed the desire to get more practice at using scrappy low volume prints in my quilting.  So I thought for this Scrap-A-Palooza quilt, I would plan something that enabled me to do that.  

I have decided that I am going to make an offset scrappy log cabin quilt!




 The first thing I did was sort out my low volume scraps and cut them to 1 1/2" wide.  I will be using these light prints on all of the blocks.  I am planning a large lap size quilt so I know I will need quite a few strips.



 For the other half of the log cabin blocks, I will be cutting out various colors of scraps.  For each colorway, I will be making 4 blocks.  I already have all four of my red blocks cut.

If you are following along, here are the cut sizes:

Low Volume prints are all 1 1/2" wide and the cut lengths are: 2 1/2",  3 1/2",  5 1/2",  6 1/2",  8 1/2",
 and  9 1/2".

Color prints are all 2 1/2" wide and the cut sizes are 2 1/2" (square),  3 1/2",  5 1/2",  6 1/2",
and 8 1/2".



 Above, I have exploded out the block for you.




 And here it is all sewn up.  This block measures 9 1/2" square (it will finish up at 9").  By using the two different widths of strips, you end up with a curved illusion.  So the layout of these blocks, when they are finished, will be fun to play around with.

Over the next week or so, I will be busy cutting and sewing up blocks.  Once I have the blocks finished, I will share them with you.



Now for a few things going on around here you might have missed.

The Orphan Adoptions are still open if you have the desire to adopt a project.  You can find all the wonderful quilters with projects up for adoption here.

I am participating in the Scrap Vortex QAL.  As I pull scraps for this Scrap-A-Palooza quilt, I am sewing up pairs of fabric for my vortex project.  Working on two scrap quilts at one time sure saves time but my sewing room is a mess!
 

Linking Up: 

Patchwork Times
Cooking Up Quilts







14 comments:

Jasmine said...

I love log cabin blocks! These are going to be awesome.

Beth said...

I love this! Great idea and it is going to look so pretty!

gayle said...

Oh, this will be a fun quilt! Can't wait to see your process and progress.

Jean said...

Very cool idea! I wouldn't have thought to do the different strip sizes that will offset the center. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Lori said...

Love the curved look. 4x how many colors??

Unknown said...

I love the block and what you are doing. I will come back to see more. Have fun and do not mind the mess,

Sandra Walker said...

Why oh WHY do you invent such terrific quilts?! Guess I'm joining in on this one too.
I've made log cabins, um several, but never an offset one. I'm in!

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

I love the look of low volume in quilts but have yet to make one successfully myself. I'm looking forward to seeing more of yours, and the curve illusion will be so cool! Thanks for linking up to Main Crush Monday!

Judy said...

I'm very interested in watching this design develop. Love log cabin blocks, but was not familiar with this one.

Unknown said...

Looks great! I love that it's not a perfect layout with the different sized strips. Gives it some extra character!

Cathy said...

I'm doing a curved log cabin too. Love your fabric choices.

DianeLoves2Quilt said...

I do like that the low volume prints are cut narrower. Not only does this give a neat look to the block but it is practical. My stash and scraps tend to have more bright, medium and dark colors and less pale and low volume prints. The apportionment works out great.

Anonymous said...

It so much fun to make them curvy! I made a heart shape with such blocks, twice. Thanks for the reminder!

Allison said...

Thank for sharing your block. Log cabin quilts are always so appealing and adding a curve to the design adds even more interest. Clever to combine the scrap QAL with the log cabin project - two quilt tops for the price of one!

01 09 10