I am still playing around with my orphan blocks. My second quilts looks very different than the first one I created. For this one, I pulled my orphan blocks that were in shades of brown.
These will help to set both the color and the theme for the quilt top. Now I just need to build off from here.
As I lay blocks out on my design wall, I look for pairs or colors of blocks to balance out the quilt top a bit.
I also start with the larger blocks first. Not only does this make laying out the blocks easier, but it also fills up the real estate faster!
Then it is just a matter of filling in the open spaces with smaller blocks. Half square triangles and four patches are usually last.
You can see I gave those peach blocks a facelift by cutting them in quarters and creating a better block.
I also started sewing up the blocks into larger components - using fabrics from my scrap bin to keep the improv feel to the quilt top.
Some blocks are trimmed smaller while others are added to or framed to make them the size I need.
You can see the components all forming better in this photo. I am working on the last section there toward the bottom left.
And here it is all put together. A total of 62 orphan blocks and components found a home in this quilt top.
Once I get it quilted up, I will get some better photos of it. The colors are really rich and warm - and the hints of pink and turquoise really add some zing!
A crazy quilt for sure!
And over on my other design wall, these orphan blocks started quilt #3. Time to make a quilt top that makes my heart jump! :)
The center medallion orphan block quilt is all quilted and getting the binding attached so I hope to share it this Friday.
Hope you all are having a great week!
Sew Fresh Quilts (Bee Social)