Sunday, July 5, 2020

Oh Scrap! : Nope

I so appreciate the work Angela over at SoScrappy does to keep the Rainbow Scrap Challenge going.  But there are sometimes when her ideas and my ideas clash.  Spending a third month on the color blue just doesn't work with my scraps.  So I am going to take a sideways step on the colorwheel and just pretend that the RSC color for July is purple! 




In the few days of July, I have already finished my three blocks for my rail fence variation quilt.  I need just seven more blocks - I am going to go with three gold, two brown and two black.  Then I can start sewing the blocks together so I will probably be finishing this one up soon.





Everyone seems to be finishing up really old UFOs, so I decided to dig in some older project boxes and see if I found anything inspiring.  I came across a bunch of Kaffe Fassett fabrics that I had already cut for an Envelope quilt.  I cut these fabrics back in 2015 and planned on making my Letters of Love quilt





The finished block is quite large at 16".  Each block will have a print and a solid.  I have the planned blocks all sorted and stacked and sitting next to my machine so I can start sewing them. 

I hope to get 25 blocks completed so I have an 80 x 80" quilt.  

I am not sure why it went to the closet in the first place but it will be nice to get this one done! 


*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 
Quilting is more fun than Housework


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter


20 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

lol someone else and I were just discussing - blue again! seems like we have done blue two times this year - I'm ready for red or something else

Preeti said...

I am with you Cynthia about the dark blue. UGH!!! I was so hoping for yellow. I have a project with yellow in the pipeline. Will alternate those bright blocks with the dark blue RSC sewing to keep it going. UFOs??? I got no UFOs - just WIPS :-p

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a lovely UFO project, Cynthia! A new quarter is just starting for the Summer UFO Club on the Quilters Knitting group at Ravelry. I've got a list a mile long and have already started working on a couple. Sign-ups are open thru Tuesday, July 7th. I can't WAIT for the finishing begin!! Best of luck on working your way to a completed quilt.

gayle said...

I was hoping for purple, so I'll really enjoy seeing yours!

Jayne said...

You gotta go with what you feel! Purple seems to be the logical choice for your project. I hope you finish the envelope quilt...or have you finished it by now...speed demon!

Cathy said...

Go where the scraps take you! I was lucky in that I started a couple of new RSC projects last month so can do them in blue this month otherwise I'd probably be sewing up some multicolor scraps.

Oh, yes...why did you put away that Envelope quilt? It's going to be a beauty. Move that forward!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I think it's not unusual to get to a point with your project where you just know what else it needs and you're ready to get it done! Your UFO looks intriguing - I'll enjoy seeing what you're making. I'm getting out a really old UFO this month, too. Have a great Sunday, Cyndy!

Kathy E. said...

I so agree with you on this month's RSC color! Sure glad I'm not alone with that feeling. I've got purples, reds, yellows all laying in wait for more rows in my RSC project. I've got a small project in mind to use up some blue scraps that I have left without cutting into yardage, so that will be my July RSC sewing. Love your purples...my favorite!

Shirley said...

I, also, was perplexed with the dark blue, seems her cool color theme is happening. I need more happy and uplifting color/tones. Will make 1 little block, but switch to a bright purple as several of you are doing.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Cynthia, I can understand why 2 months of blue would be enough - and purple is certainly related to blue :-) Good luck with your UFO. At least with large blocks it should get stitched up quickly...maybe! Take care.

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Love your envelope quilt...so colorful...it
will be beautiful when finished...have a great day!

Barb N said...

Oh, that old closest! It's the kiss of doom! At least if it's like some of the boxes I have - once it goes in there, forget about it. Once I realized this attribute to my character, I try hard not to use cardboard boxes or anything I can't see into. That helps a bit. Your envelope quilt will be worthy of a finish!

Mystic Quilter said...

I think I'd be struggling with three different blues over the three months. Love your purple choice!

Louise said...

I kind of let the dark blue morph into red, white and blue for July, since those colors are ubiquitous this month. And since purple is blue and red, seems like you're doing the same! Any purple in the envelope quilt? If it's Kaffe, it must have a little of everything :)

Wendy F said...

Your envelope UFO looks like it will be a fun quilt! Thanks as always for hosting Oh Scrap and providing lots of scrappy inspiration.

Susie H said...

Isn't it fun to dig up old projects and start again? Amazingly you still like the fabrics. So often I find an older project and think, "What the heck was it thinking?" Lol! I too am having a hard time doing a third blue month so I'm playing catch-up on a couple of months that I fell short! Sounds like win-win for both of us!

Building person said...

I was donated enough fabric to make over 600 masks. With the left over scraps and scraps of left over whit from other projects I made 143 7.25 x 7.25 quilt blocks. The quilt blocks are done, ready to be ⬛ ed up for a new quilt. What was left over after all that was cut in 2.5 inch strips for a quilt I call stacks. This meant nothing is left of the mask fabrics at all. I am sure the quilter is looking down from heaven happy to see her fabric going into 3 quilts and masks for our protection.

Bonnie said...

hahahaha ok, I'm done laughing. 2015 isn't a really old UFO. It does look good though. I hope we can see the finished project soon. (PS, My oldest UFO is 1993 -- 4" blocks that were swapped with other quilters on Prodigy. There are several different projects from the '90s in my UFO lists.)

Rebecca Grace said...

Good for you, rebelling against the tyranny of the RSC Blue dictum! I'm sick of seeing blue all over the place, too, and I'm not even an RSC participant! :-). Your KF UFO will be lovely, too.

Kate said...

Sometimes you have to do what works for you when playing with scraps. Your purple blocks turned out beautifully. Have fun finishing off your older UFO. It always feels nice to get one more off the list.

01 09 10