Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt #10 Part One

I am a bit behind posting my plans for this month's Scrap-A-Palooza quilt!  

This month I am doing a little housekeeping and dealing with a bag of scraps I gladly "inherited" from a friend.  She had read at one time to store her scraps in various pre-cut pieces.  So she started spending time cutting and sorting only to discover her scraps were never the correct size for the project she was working on.  When she cleaned up her sewing room this summer, she offered me her bag of scraps.  Uh....yea!  I will certainly take all those wonderful bits of color all cut to size!




There are two sizes in this pile...3 1/2" square and rectangles cut to 2 x 3 1/2".  There are batiks, prints and solids.  The colors are predominately oranges and blues with some brown and green.  I wanted to come up with a design that would work for all of these fabrics!  Trust me - it's gonna work out!


My vision for this month's quilt is to sew these pre-cut scraps together in long strips and set them into a unifying background fabric.


And truthfully, that is about as far as I have gotten on the plan.  Yep - this month I am winging it!  
I have started to sew the scraps together as a leader/ender project while I sew other projects.  As soon as I have a clear idea as to the direction I am headed, I will share my progress.  At this point, I am just trying to get an idea of how the fabrics are playing together.


 
So how about you, do you have some scraps that you have pre-cut to size and are ready to deal with them this month?  If you do, I hope you get them out and sew them up into a fun scrappy quilt!




If you are interested in more ways to follow me, you can find me on Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', Feedly, Instagram, Google +, or get my blog sent right to your email inbox by entering your email address on the right sidebar!

 
Linking up:
Freshly Pieced
she can quilt (Scraptastic Tuesday) 

7 comments:

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a treat to have Precut scraps. Have fun sewing them together and discovering lots of fun fabrics in the bags.

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

I love how you can take scraps from others and turn them into beautiful quilts! Can't wait to see how this month comes together!

Marsha Cooper said...

Oh yes, I will always take scraps!
I want to do a crazy quilt, but really need someone to show me how in person.

gibbygoo56 said...

I look forward to seeing the result.

mpv61 said...

I've just started doing some pre-cutting. When I buy a big enough piece (like a yard) that is likely to "play well with others," I wash and iron it and then cut 2.5" from the selvage edge (if it has writing on it). From the remaining width of fabric, I cut: a 3.5" strip, a 6" strip, and a 10" strip. I don't cut any further, but at some point, those strips can be made into a million different things, and they will be. The selvage is used for a planned (and started) leader-and-ender selvage quilt.

I'd be thrilled to get all those scraps, too, and would probably do a leader-and-ender quilt with them.

deedee said...

What sizes do you precut your scraps, please? Mine are mostly 2 1/2," 5" and 10" so they all go together.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I don't normally pre-cut my scraps. I use so many sizes, I like to cut them as I need them. So I just store them by color which works best for me.

01 09 10