Friday, December 12, 2014

Little Letters - Quilt #1 Finish

I have finally found a bit of time to get into my sewing room and focus on some of the projects layered on my design walls.  And rather than work on a number of them at the same time, I have been making a concerted effort to only work on one quilt at a time.


So, I have a finish to share!
(Funny how that happens...)




 Here is the first of the three Little Letters quilt I am working on.  (The patterns for the letters can be found at Temecula Quilts).  This one was made entirely from the scrap bin - each letter is black with a light gray background.  The solids and cross weaves are all the last bits of various colors in my stash - many I am not even sure who the manufacturer is.  Most of these blocks used up the last bit of fabric I had so it was nice to clean all those solids out.

Because I had limited colors available, it was challenging to get the color effect I was going after.  I am glad I resisted cutting from pieces of yardage - then I just create more scraps!  And the quilt turned out just fine using what I had.


 If you recall in a previous post, I was not happy that I did not outline each letter with a bit of gray before I added the background.



So to give each letter an outline, I added some fun detail in the quilting.  With a light gray thread, I just surrounded each letter with some loopy quilting.





 Not too bad for a silly little scrap quilt!

And this quilt was my finish goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes with Sew Bittersweet Designs.  So I can strike it off my list!

I am now working on quilt #2 and hope to share it soon.  Each one of these little letter quilts is laid out quite uniquely!  Hope you come back to check it out.

If you are interested in more ways to follow me, you can find me on Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', Feedly, Instagram, Google +, or get my blog sent right to your email inbox by entering your email address on the right sidebar!
  
                                   

ALYoF2014Linking up:  
Confessions of a Fabric Addict

20 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

I really like how it came out. I've been thinking how I want mine to look and I think you gave me some ideas, thanks! Hoping to start mine in January :-)

Turid said...

I really love how this one came out. I stranded in the middle of the alphabet, but will go on later. My sewing machine was so bad. But I can tell you, I just bought a new today.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

The color gradient effect is striking and I love that you were able to do it all from your scraps. Awesome!

Marly said...

Striking effect with the graded colour in the picture frames. I like the quilting on the frames, but how did you quilt the letters themselves?

CapitolaQuilter said...

Fun scrappy quilt for sure. congrats on a finish.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Congratulations on finishing such a fun quilt! The swirls around the letters look great. Beautiful use of colour.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It turned out great!! yay for you for getting back to a you project!

Lynette said...

Yay! It's a really superb finish - and ALL from scraps!! Yes. :D Love the loop-de-loops added in.

Barb Neiwert said...

Great finish! It's perfect to have the different hues falling throughout the quilt. LOL, I like you not wanting the make more scraps by cutting into your big pieces!!!

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Rosemary B here:
This is beautiful!!

berylthepearl said...

I have enjoyed following all your Little Letter quilts! I also made one, it was such fun! Yours is amazing!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Oooh, I love the colour progression of the background! Great quilt, Cynthia!

Jasmine said...

I love the use of color in this quilt. And your quilting is so fun and whimsical.

Oddbjørg said...

Love your letter quilt!

Julierose said...

Such an adorable layout of those cute letters...really nice finish--I like that gray outlining a lot...hugs, Julierose

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Okay...I'm not going to sash my blocks after seeing yours! YAH! I love how yours came out...bold and simple. :)

Anita said...

A lovely quilt, Cynthia! Those letters are on my to-do list, also.

sophie said...

I love the color-blocking in your quilt ... and if you used up scraps, all the better. It's lovely.

Sharon Dawn said...

I love those letters! An alphabet quilt is on my "someday" list ....it is such a long list ;)

Happy New Year!!

Sandy Panagos said...

I really like your quilt. The flying geese look great in the alternate blocks int he corners.

01 09 10