Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt #12 Part Four Finish

With all the excitement of 2014 coming to a close, I almost forgot to share December's Scrap-A-Palooza finished quilt!  I admit it has been finished for a while now but a flu bug has zapped my energy and I am lucky if I can get a couple items a day accomplished on my ever growing to-do list!
  Hopefully I am over the worst of it!





We started this quilt with Part One, where we narrowed our colorways and pulled our scraps.

I chose a purple floral scrap from a previous quilt back to use as my color inspiration.










In Part Two, I shared the process for determining how to get the best yield from my fabric for the vertical bars.  I also shared how I determined how wide my coins needed to be to get the size quilt I was hoping for.






Once the scraps for the coins were cut to size, in Part Three, we simply sewed everything together and assembled up the quilt top.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Well, here is the finished quilt in all of its scrappy goodness.

 
 

The colors in this quilt are some I would have not considered putting together in a project but I do find them pleasing to the eye.  I always learn so much using my scraps!


 
And I was able to make a backing from my fabric stash.  I had to use two different solids but I like how it turned out.
 
 
And now for a few statistics:
Lap Quilt
Size: 55 x 65"
Fabric: All fabric for the quilt top came from the scrap bin.  Many of the larger pieces were backing trimmings from previous quilts.



 And some older photos to share using this same concept:
 
 
Modern Lap Quilt in Beautiful Unique Colors, perfect for brightening a gloomy evening, Handmade in mint green, blue, purple, pink, turquoise
 
 For this quilt, I used a Jane Sassaman border print for the color inspiration and vertical bars.


Modern Quilt in Orange and Gray

And this one was also made from the back trimmings of a previous quilt.  The orange and gray pieces were what was left over when sub-cutting for a pattern.  They were already cut to width so I just sewed them together.



As I stated in an earlier post, Scrap-A-Palooza will continue into 2015.  Woo Hoo!  I am not going to commit to a quilt a month but I will continue sewing up my scraps and sharing the process with you!  Feel free to sew along any time!






And don't forget that starting January 4th, I will be hosting Oh Scrap!, a weekly linky party where you can link up your scrappy projects.  So don't be bashful, share your ideas for sewing those scraps!




If you are interested in more ways to follow me, you can find me on Craftsy, Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', Feedly, Instagram, Google +, or get my blog sent right to your email inbox by entering your email address on the right sidebar! 
 
 
Scraptastic Tuesday
Linking up:






17 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I agree with you; I would never have put those color together, but the inspiration fabric ties it all together and the end result is a really lovely quilt. I am definitely excited about your Oh Scrap linky party. I probably won't be able to participate every time, but I'm working on a quilt top from scraps right now that I am excited about!

AnnieO said...

Terrific scrappy ideas! Color and scale mean a lot and you've got a great eye for both. Thanks for sharing!

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

I learn something or have an aha moment every time I visit your blog! Using the leftover backing fabric. . . THAT is a fabulous idea!! I have several pieces that I have been working on fitting into backings for other quilts but adding them as the focal fabric for the front. . . awesome!

LOVE your purple quilt!

Lorna McMahon said...

What a gorgeous finish and a wonderful way to end the year. Love your new linky party button. Looking forward to what is to come in 2015! Happy New Year!

Kathy S. said...

Happy New Year. This will be a very scrappy year for me too. LOVE your color combos. Can't wait for the linky on 1/4 -- Oh Scrap -- I better get sewing! :)

Vicki in MN said...

I would never have put a floral as a wide sashing, but it works!! Thanks for the eye opener and it is very pretty! Looking forward to 2015, Happy New Year.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Congratulations on finishing your December quilt! You really know how to make scraps sing!

Barb Neiwert said...

The print sashing becomes the focal point, and I really like that! You have a fun bunch of fabrics to put together. Looking forward to your 2015 O Scrap! series :)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

What a beautiful scrappy finish! Linda

Jasmine said...

A great finish, and very helpful when I was teaching my niece (with my mom) to make her first quilt this morning. She is making a turning twenty, and using the scraps to make a stacked coins. Scrappy stacked coins are great for learning and working to get a good scant quarter inch seam. :)

JanineMarie said...

I learn so much looking at your color and print combos. I love how the melon-y orange just pops in the top quilt. And the pieced back--fabulous!

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh it's just gorgeous, such beautiful rich colours, they all seem to play off each other and become more vibrant the longer you look at it!

Michele said...

Yeah for you. That one is fantastic and I know quite a few Purple loving little girls that would adore it.

Marie said...

It's amazing how when you decide that you can only work with a selection of fabrics you find a way to make it work - lovely quilt. Yesterday I sat down and started to play with a pile that is totally out of my colour zone so we'll see what comes of that. :)

Lynne said...

Wow! That is a fabulous quilt. I have beginnings of a coin quilt that was donated to my quilting group but it is all over the shop in colours and fabrics. I've had it for more than two years and still haven't figured out what to do with it -- apart from pull it all completely apart! I've taken the sashing out to separate the stacks but it still isn't working for me! Here it is if you're curious! http://lh5.ggpht.com/-jNcuVTflx1Y/T8bo-LdSm-I/AAAAAAAAGJs/n0W0g1VtCFk/s1600-h/two-quilts-in-one_thumb42.jpg

Nicky said...

It's why I love scraps - everything goes! Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

audrey said...

Great looking quilt! Love those rich colors.:)

01 09 10