Sunday, August 28, 2016

Oh Scrap! : Quilty Orphan Adoption Event

It is time to mark your calendars!

I can't believe that fall will be upon us here in the US soon so that means it is almost time for the Quilty Orphan Adoption Event.  I have been holding this event every spring and fall so myself and others can put up for adoption items to be finished up by others.






For example, I put this project up for adoption in 2015.


I just couldn't bring myself to finish it and it had just taking up space in my sewing room for years.


My request was that it be finished and donated to a charity.









Off it went in the mail and after a bit I was rewarded with photos of the finished quilt!

It was given to a family who was affected by the fires in Fort McMurray earlier this year.   Rather than languish in my cupboard, it felt good that someone was willing to finish this up and donate it to such a great cause.









It was cobbled together from all the materials I had sent and finished as a QAYG project by a wonderful angel.  :)

How wonderful is that!




And there have been many other projects that have been sent off and finished during this event.  


 




So if you are ready to let go of a project you know it is unlikely you will finish, consider putting it up for adoption.  I can attest it leaves you with a great feeling!

Quilting is more fun than Housework

 Quilty Orphan Adoption Event
Starts September 16, 2016


I will be hosting a linky party starting Friday September 16 (and closing on Sunday September 18) where you are welcome to link up your own blog post, Flickr photo or Instagram post sharing a project you wish to abandon or orphan blocks you wish to pass on.  You can offer as little or as much as you want.  It can be blocks, patterns, kits, fabric, quilt top - anything that you hope someone else will use and you wish to remove the burden of an unfinished project.



Here are some details:
1.  I am going to ask that any "orphan" linked up must be given away for free.  (If you are wanting to destash for money, there are other venues to do that on.)  I think it is fair that if you need to, you can ask that shipping costs be paid.  Just be sure and put that information clearly in your post.  And know that both parties enter into the deal at their own risk.  I hold no responsibility.
2. Have clear pictures and descriptions on what you are putting up for adoption.
3. Define the criteria for how you will decide who will adopt the item.  Is it a random number giveaway, do you only want it to go to charity, or is there some other criteria that needs to be met?
4.  Be sure and identify where you are located and where you are willing to ship to.
5. Define how long you are keeping the adoption open and when you expect to award the adoption.

Last Spring, there were over a dozen WIPs that found new homes.  Many were adopted by quilters who were finishing them for various charities.  If you are curious what was linked up last time, here is a link even though all the adoptions are closed.

Thanks again to all the quilters that participated in the past.
I would love any and all help getting the word out.  Feel free to grab the button off the right blog margin if you like.  

And if you adopted a project, I would love it if you shared a photo!

***************************

Now it is time to link up and share what scrappy projects you have worked on this week.  Here are the details for linking up:
  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do!
Quilting is more fun than Housework

So if you love scrappy projects, feel free to grab my button for your sidebar or posts and get ready to share all your wonderful projects from scraps.  And if you have a great idea for using scraps and would like to be featured, feel free to contact me!






Linking Up:



13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice use of those blocks!! I have all scrappy projects going on right now I do believe and I will be continuing on the work today in between a yard work project.

Anonymous said...

I love this. I will have to go through my closet and see if I've got anything I'm willing to part with. :) Have a great week! ~Melanie

Run 'n Stitch said...

What a great opportunity to give those projects you don't want to finish to someone who might want to finish them. Thank you.

Nann said...

Thanks in advance hosting the orphan adoption, Cynthia. I'll poke around to find possible candidates.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

This is always such a great idea, Cynthia, and this time I might even have something to contribute to the event! Thanks for hosting it!

cityquilter grace said...

great idea! i have a couple that would like a new home....

Jayne said...

I have got to remember the Orphan Block event! I have two stacks of blocks that I am not ever going to use and it would be awesome if someone else gave them new life!

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

I think the orphan adoption is such a great idea! I hope you have lots of participants this year.

Lara B. said...

What a wonderful example of what can be done with an adopted quilt project Cyndy! Very inspiring! I put you button on BuzzinBumble a while ago. :) Hopefully I can find a project to give away!

Vanni said...

Thanks for hosting this linkup!

em's scrapbag said...

This is such a good idea. The quilter who received you orphan did a beautiful job and went to a good home. Makes me so happy.

Kate said...

What a great idea!

Vesuviusmama said...

I'm so excited! I have five more orphans lined up and waiting for adoption. Thank you for hosting this event!

01 09 10