Yes, I am still playing around with my orphan blocks. So far, I have explored three different approaches to sewing these blocks up. First, I did a medallion style quilt. Then I went on to finish a top done improve style - which I hope to share as a finish this Friday.
Now I can share using a third technique - which is just setting the blocks into a background.
I started this quilt top with these four blocks.
I had a number of 12 1/2" blocks (or blocks that could easily be made into that size by framing) so I started filling up my design wall. I had two groups of three blocks that I used for the top and bottom row. I also pulled out some four patches I made from some strip sets and created some fun details to keep this quilt more rectangular.
I had some colorwash cuttings I had saved and used them to frame some of the blocks in the middle section. I also used a leftover strip set from a finished quilt to make this block a bit taller. I thought the purple and blue balanced out the heart block really well.
Then it was just a matter of filling in the background. I broke up the quilt into six horizontal sections, which made assembly pretty easy. I used mostly 2.5 and 1.5" wide strips to separate the blocks and the rows. I did use a directionally striped fabric for my background, which made the finishing a lot harder than it needed to be. (That seems to be how I roll!)
I tried to focus on using my brightly colored and novelty scraps on this one.
Yahoo...48 more orphan blocks found a home!
(I think 5 different quilters will see some of their handiwork included in this one.)
The top is now sewn, the backing is together, so all I need to do now is get it quilted up!
Freemotion by the River (Linky Tuesday)