Here it is...the second quilt all completed using tucked away orphan blocks!
For this one, I chose to pull my orphans from the brown colorway. My block sizes were all over the place and there really wasn't any sort of theme I could get inspired by.
So I decided to just start with the biggest blocks I had which were these improv blocks. From here, I just added blocks onto my design wall until it was about quilt size. You can read more about the process here.
It has been raining here so getting photos of this quilt have been tough. You can see the whole quilt is a mish mash of blocks. While I did have fun sewing this one together, it is not one of my favorites. When you see it in person, it is fun to see all the different blocks and fabrics. But I like quilts that have a bit more pattern or unity to them. It certainly doesn't make this a bad quilt - in fact, I already have taken it for a test run and it snuggles up nicely!
I tried again to get a good photo on my gate but I just couldn't get the colors correct.
For an orphan block quilt, it really is a good example of an improv assembly technique.
Here is an indoor photo - the colors are a little better but it is certainly hard to see the block detail.
Over 60 blocks are no longer homeless!
I was so pleased when it came to finding a back. I had been gifted 4 yards of this floral many years ago. I almost didn't take it at the time because I thought I would never use it.
Well, it has found its home too!
It looks like a lot of you are getting out your orphan blocks and getting them into a quilt top too. I think around the end of February I will set up a link so we can have a project parade. Don't stress about getting them completely finished by then but I do hope you share your progress and inspiration.
Remember, orphans can also be used for other projects too!
My Quilt Infatuation (Needle & Thread)