Sunday, May 7, 2017

Oh Scrap! : Green

A new month means a new Rainbow Scrap Challenge color.  For May, the color is green!

It wasn't until this weekend that I could pull some scraps and get to sewing.  I keep green and lime green in two separate color bins.  And wouldn't you know that both are overflowing!



My plan for 2017 was to make string blocks every month but in looking at the size and shape of my green scraps, I decided to mix it up a bit.  I still plan on using my strings but I am making quarter log cabin blocks.  These blocks measure 9.5" square - I start each one with a 2.5" square and just add strips until they are large enough to trim up to size.



Here is where I am at so far.  I am trying not to get too hung up on blue green versus yellow green or the fabric print.  I think I am going for a small lap quilt so I will need about 42 blocks total. 
I still have a long way to go!

How about you - What scrappy things have you been sewing?


******************************************


It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up:
  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do!
Quilting is more fun than Housework

So if you love scrappy projects, feel free to grab my button for your sidebar or posts and get ready to share all your wonderful projects from scraps.  And if you have a great idea for using scraps and would like to be featured, feel free to contact me!









Craftsy




Linking Up:

14 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love those blocks - have a relaxing Sunday.

Chantal said...

Nice variety of greens in your blocks. It will make a calm and soothing quilt I think. It's a lovely beginning. ;^)

Ivani said...

Your green quarter log cabin blocks are looking great together

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love quarter log cabins!m now that I've finally made a log cabin quilt, I'm going to have to try these! Yours will be pretty in green!

Jayne said...

I'm not even surprised your greens are over flowing!! But you made great use with them in these blocks! I thought I was fast some days...you are always on 10!!

Cathy said...

I've tried wonky log cabins but never quarter log cabins. I might have to give them a try. I like yours in one color.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Good luck with the quilt you've chosen to make!! I'll be looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Rosa said...

Beautiful blocks and combo fabrics.Thanks for the link party, there area cute projects!

Mystic Quilter said...

The blocks set this way give a wonderful 3D effect!

Pamela Arbour said...

I wonder how all of that green gets in our stash bins. I have a lot of it as well in varying shades! You have some good blocks going there

Nann said...

I have many different green prints in my stash and the yellow-green vs. blue-green gets me every time. (Even the lime/bright can veer yellow or veer blue.) I personally love green -- it is the secondary color in every room in our house -- but somehow an entirely green quilt is a challenge to contemplate.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Those green log cabin blocks are so nice. Gorgeous fabrics. Thanks for the link up opportunity.

em's scrapbag said...

Good progress, thanks for linking up with Moving it Forward.

FlashinScissors said...

Ohhh! I must look at my greens ..... I know I have loads!!!! They were all in a bundle I bought at a charity quilting fabric sale, many years ago, around the time I first started to think about quilting. I only make small quilted items so not many pieces have been used as yet!

Your quarter log cabin blocks look a great idea for using up every little scrap ..... so I'll be getting those scraps of mine out again soon.

I've just finished working with some blue ones (so outside my comfort zone! .... not my favourite colour!), but I was very pleased with the result, and am happy to be able to join your linky party for the first time.

Hope to be able to join in again with more scraps in the future!

Barbara x



01 09 10