Thursday, May 11, 2017

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt #22 Part Two

No finish to share this weekend...but I have been making some fun progress on my newest Scrap-A-Palooza quilt.  This quilt is going to be silly and bright!



I started out by fussy cutting these silly little veggies out of an older fabric.  Then it was just a matter of pulling scraps that complimented the colors and getting out my sewing machine.



Some of these veggies I simply started sewing on strings in a log cabin method.  I didn't worry about strip width - I just had fun!
 



 Here are a couple examples of some blocks I made using this design.  A couple things to point out, you can see one block has some very wonky cuts.  And I used the original veggie print for some of the logs in one of the blocks. (This is one more way to use more of that fabric up!)

Just letting my mood guide me!




I also used a few of these characters to build blocks using a courthouse steps design.



Here are a few more examples of some blocks made this way.  Once again, I did not worry about the width of the strips.  I really want to keep these blocks playful!




 I also made a few quarter log cabin blocks...



There is really no rules in how these can be sewn together.  On some of the above blocks, I added in more veggies in the blocks.  And I also added in some strips of color to add interest to a block I thought was a bit boring.

At this point in making these blocks, I am not worrying about their size or even their shape.  These blocks are not in their finished form - I will be sharing that process in the next part of this series. 

Right now I am just giving myself some inspiration to work with as I build these blocks into a quilt top.  I will be showing you my next steps hopefully next week!



 Follow Me on Bloglovin'          Follow me thru Email          Follow me on Feedly


Linking Up:

20 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

These blocks are just so fun and I love all the scrap play.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

As I have a problem with preciseness, this kind of quilting would be ideal for me. When you have such pretty fabrics, it works so beautifully. Thanks for sharing this.

Libby in TN said...

Those veggies are just too darn cute! Fun way to use them up.

Linda Swanekamp said...

What a way to keep working with a smile. Looks like terrific fun.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those blocks are a lot of fun! I love the orange and green together! I'm looking forward to seeing your next steps.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It will be so fun!!!

Tami Von Zalez said...

I like it! That would be just the sort of project I would enjoy doing.

Cathy said...

Oh this is a fun one! I can't wait to see how it all comes together. The colors are so bright and cheery!

Jayne said...

This is going to be a fun quilt! Goofy, cute and funny veggies...who would have thought! Love your idea on the blocks. I can't wait to see how you finish this one!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Cynthia,
What fun blocks! It will be a very cute and colorful quilt when you put it all together. I look forward to seeing it all finished. ~smile~
Roseanne

Jo said...

Stress free sewing.. good on you..

Charlotta said...

This is a very fun and colorful quilt, and most importantly, it's so obvious that you're having a great time making it. I made a very similar queen sized quilt like that once for a friend. I collect zebra fabrics, but my friend loves elephants, so I cut elephants from my zebra prints - many of the fabrics which have zebras, of course, also have elephants as the two animals are found on the same continent and in the same areas of Africa (strangely, and of some irritation to me, many of the same fabrics also depict tigers, which, of course, are not found in Africa but only in Asia where there are no zebras! Zebras and tigers do not live naturally together anywhere in the world! But that's my personal pet peeve!) Anyway, I used the elephants as centers in my blocks - they were widely varying in size and shape - and added strips, mostly in browns, grays and greens - just like you've done, in a courthouse style until each of the blocks was about 16" square. I think I made a total of 30 blocks. It was so much fun. I'm so glad you reminded me! It's such a great way to make a quilt.

piecefulwendy said...

Oh my, what a fun quilt! Those little veggies are so cute, and I love all the orange! So much fun. Enjoy every stitch!

Kathleen said...

I'm enjoying following your progress on this one!

Anonymous said...

Lovin' this cheerful, quirky quilt-in-progress! Can't wait to see the finish!

Pamela Arbour said...

Oh what fun. Thanks for sharing your process on this quilt.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Adorable and soooo fun! Neat project!

Vicki in MN said...

We all know you will pull together a great quilt in the end:)

Barb Neiwert said...

What a fantastic way to pull that fabric into a fun quilt! And in the most scrappy way :)

Nicky said...

One way to get your five a day! They do look fun. Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

01 09 10