Sunday, January 7, 2018

Oh Scrap! : Great Progress

I have been finding myself with some big blocks of time to sew and I have been taking full advantage of it!  Not only have I been focusing on some scrap blocks, but I have TWO quilt tops sewn up and just waiting for quilting.  It is amazing what you can get done in a couple of hours.


You will have to wait to see the quilt tops - but I will share my blue "ladder" blocks.  I have decided to just make 7 blocks each month in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color.  In about 8 or 9 months, I should have enough blocks for a donation quilt.  The blues look kinda boring but once you get some brighter colors in there that contrast with the sashing more, I think it will be fun.



I know some readers have shown an interest in the block.  It is just 2.5" squares with two 2.5 x 8.5" strips on the sides.  Easy Peasey!



I also whipped out some rectangular blue string blocks.    Last year I made string blocks each month and ended up with a mish mash of leftovers.  Blue was the last color I needed to execute the plan I cam up with, so I was extremely happy to see it was chosen for January.  I blended in a few greens to get the look I wanted.



I have the center all sewn, but here is a sneak peek at the outer border I am creating with the blue blocks.  Some of these blocks have been waiting for a home for years.  I can't wait to show the top when I have it all finished.

I have also decided to join Angela and Mari for the Scrap Sampler Quilt Along they are putting together.  They have released the first block and I fell in love!  I think I am going to go with a 10" block.  If you are looking for a new scrap project - please join in!

Now it is time for you to share what you have been sewing with your scraps.  



************************************



It is now your turn to share what you have been making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up:
  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do!

    So if you love scrappy projects, feel free to grab my button for your sidebar or posts and get ready to share all your wonderful projects from scraps.  And if you have a great idea for using scraps and would like to be featured, feel free to contact me!







    14 comments:

    scraphappy said...

    Love the way you put all those strings together. The setting makes all the difference.

    Julie in GA said...

    Love your ladder blocks, and the arrangement of the string blocks is fantastic!

    LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

    The string quilt is great, Cyndy! I love the way you're putting different sizes of blocks together!

    Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

    The blocks are great - i LOVe that string quilt you are working on - it is stunning!

    Jayne said...

    That string quilt! I love the center so much. The blue border block really let you focus on the center and ground the quilt! Very nice!!

    Barb Neiwert said...

    Your string blocks are always so pretty. Mine might be, too, if I ever made some. Guess it's a Bucket List project.

    The Joyful Quilter said...

    I'm intrigued by that String Quilt in progress. Do I really spy 3 different sizes pf blocks in the one quilt? BTW... I think your Ladder blocks in BLUE look blue-ti-ful!!

    Ivani said...

    The pink ladder block is beautiful it really pops.
    Love all the strings, the border with blue and green looks like a ribbon. I fall in love with your blocks Cynthia.

    Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

    Beautiful blocks! I really love your string quilt. I'm joining in your linky party, playing with scraps and enjoying it! ;)

    gayle said...

    Your ladder blocks look like great fun, and I adore your strings!

    moosecraft said...

    Wow! This latest string quilt is gorgeous! Looks like Summer! :-)

    Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

    String blocks are so fun, and your blue ones look great. Love your quilt top!

    Cathy Tomm said...

    Great looking String blocks. Love that the boarders might be the longer ones.

    Sandy Panagos said...

    I can see a lot of opportunities for using that ladder block. I may have to add it to my "to do" list. The rectangular string blocks are making a great border on the strings quilt, and the striped inner border really sets of the center!

    01 09 10