Sunday, March 25, 2018

Oh Scrap! - A Whole Lot of 4 Patches

I love it when a whole lot of scraps come together into a quilt top!




Last month I started sewing together a bunch of 4 patches in a rainbow of colors.  My only requirement was that each block was in a single colorway and contained only two fabrics - a solid and a print.  I really had no plan in place when I started sewing. 
My goal was to just sew up some scraps!



Well, I have sewn up all those little 4 patches into a quilt top!

If I knew this was going to be the finished layout when I started making blocks, I would have made my blocks a lot more monochromatic.  It was a challenge to work in those blocks with a high light to dark contrast. But I used every one of the blocks I made! 
Even though it is not perfect, I am still pleased with the finished quilt top.

Especially since it is 100% scraps!


*********************************************************
It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up:

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do!

So if you love scrappy projects, feel free to grab my button for your sidebar or posts and get ready to share all your wonderful projects from scraps.  And if you have a great idea for using scraps and would like to be featured, feel free to contact me!









39 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that turned out really good, I tried to do a quilt like this years ago but was never satisfied with it and turned the blocks into another quilt instead.

Gretchen Weaver said...

WOW! I love your quilt! What a great and lovely use of leftover blocks.

Auntie Em said...

It came out great! I'm glad you ended up choosing this layout and going for it.

Kate said...

You did a great job of dealing with the contrast problem. Congrats on another gorgeous scrappy quilt.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That quilt is so fun to look at! I can imagine there were places where the layout was really challenging because of the contrast, but when you see the whole thing all together, it all works. Beautiful, Cyndy!

Jayne said...

This quilt top glows! I love what you have done!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Love your quilt too! You did a great job assembling all these blocks, all of them, without planning ahead!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Really wonderful!!

julieQ said...

I am totally in love with your four patch quilt...just so much fun!!

chrisknits said...

I think it’s perfect!! Great job.

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Oh those 4 patches turned into a gorgeous quilt top. Thank you for the inspiration!

Pamela said...

That is so gorgeous! Very inspiring!

Penny4vt said...

What size where your squares? I've been thinking about trying something like this and wonder what scale to work with.

Ivani said...

WOW!! WOW!!! OWO!!!!
Simple four patch and a wonderful quilt.
Well done Cynthia! Love it ♥

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE that quilt top!!! The lights in the center really made the quilt top shine.

Karen's Korner said...

It never ceases to amaze me what beautiful quilts you create from leftovers.

Clare M said...

Yes, I agree with everything said Cynthia, this top looks really lovely. Great use of four patches and scraps working in harmony with each other.

Angie in SoCal said...

Gorgeous!

Kristin said...

I think you are being too critical! Your quilt is delightful! There is a sparkle to it that you wouldn't have if you kept the colors more sedate. =)

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love the four patch colorwash. Isn't great to use every block? Beautiful job.

Quilting Gail said...

Love your rainbow scrappy quilt!
Love how it looks!
Love how you used 100% scraps!
Love it!

June D said...

Your quilt is wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing it's creation with us.

KatieQ said...

Wow! It's amazing that you didn't start out with a plan and ended up with a fabulous quilt. Four patches are my favorite "mindless" sewing. Unfortunately, my four patches have never yielded anything as wonderful as your quilt.

Pamela Arbour said...

I love it! I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. Another great scrappy quilt. How are you going to quilt it?

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

I like it. I turned out great.

hetty said...

Wow! Amazing! Great scrappy quilt. love how that came together.

Louise said...

This turned out so great, Cynthia! Love the colorwash effect.

Jo said...

I think it's a great scrap quilt. It will get a lot of use and loved..

Lynn said...

Oh that looks so great. Who knew four patches with that description would fit together so well? Patchwork is wonderful like that, a great top.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Fabulous 4 patch top and super use of scraps! That is 2 wins in my book also. Thanks for inspiring.

Julie said...

Isn't hindsight magical? If only I knew, I would have...But in spite of that, I really think this is a beautiful creation, and why we do scrap quilts. We are never sure of the final product, and sometimes you can't make these with the best laid plans. I'd count this as a win!

Barb Neiwert said...

This is great incentive and inspiration for me to sew up some of those 2.5 inch squares with some solids, accumulate them, and then make something terrific out of them. You did so well in placing the blocks - awesome!

Bonnie said...

What a spectacular quilt! And how wonderful -- it is a "free" quilt! I may have to steal this idea! What size squares did you use?

marebear said...

Very Lovely!

Mystic Quilter said...

Your four patch is glorious!! Bursting with colour, perfect.

Julie H said...

What size are the squares cut?

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

I think it looks fabulous! What size were your four patches? I love the way you laid out the blocks. Great job!

em's scrapbag said...

Your scrappy four patch play had some pretty amazing results! Good job!

Linda said...

What a brilliant quilt - just made from simple 4 patches. Stunning use of colour!

01 09 10