Sunday, July 1, 2018

Oh Scrap! : Something Old and Something New

During a sew day with a friend, I finished up the last of my bowtie blocks made from Kaffe Fassett scraps.




I now have a total of 110 eight inch blocks ready to lay out.  The last few blocks, I actually had to cut from my stash fabric.  I don't want any duplicate prints in the quilt and I haven't any more unique scraps large enough for the blocks.




And while I was at my friend's house, she let me purge her scrap bins that were overflowing.  She also gave me a baggie of some bonus triangles - which I have been turning into these adorable little pinwheels.  I don't keep my own triangle trimmings but there is just something about the scraps from others that makes them fun to have!

I also received a number of other items that are quickly turning into finished quilt tops.  I should be sharing many of them soon!


*********************************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 
Quilting is more fun than Housework











Linking Up:


14 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your bowtie blocks - I keep seeing so many different quilts in blog land that I want to add to my list and I have to stop doing that I am making too many right now as it is

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your blocks are fun and bright - I enjoy the "just playing" aspect of scrappy sewing, too. I think my bowties are getting close to enough - I need to count them this week. Have a great Sunday, Cyndy!

Jayne said...

I can't even imagine going to a friends house and being able to sew with their scraps...thats true friendship! I'm excited to see all your bowtie blocks together, as I've said before I'm itching to make some for myself one day! I never thought about making pinwheels with the bonus HST's! Which goes to show you that there are so many different ways they can be used!!

Barb Neiwert said...

110! That's going to be absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to see it. And lots of new scraps - fun, fun, fun!

Cathy said...

Kaffe Ties will be glorious!

I could not think what might be more fun than playing in someone else's scraps. (And I can't believe you don't save your own makings for bonus triangles)!!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty Bowties, and pinwheels!

em's scrapbag said...

I love all your pinwheels!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

Scraps from others are always WAY more fun!! LOL

Denise said...

The bow ties blocks, I love the fabric. I cant imagine having enough scraps to make 110 blocks all from different fabrics. My sewing room is small so I am limited on what I can keep around.

Louise said...

That's funny, I don't keep my triangles, either. Unless I immediately stitch bonus HSTs while doing "stitch and flip" corners, they go right into the basket for dog bed stuffing. But I totally understand why someone else's triangles would be appealing :)

Mystic Quilter said...

I can't wait to see your KF bowtie blocks all pieced together!! It depends on the size of the left over triangles as to whether I keep them or not. I do like the colours in your pinwheels, what size are the triangles?

Susan said...

Super pretty scrap projects in the works!

Kate said...

The pinwheel and bowties blocks are such fun. Both are very colorful projects. Looking forward to seeing the bowtie quilt all put together.

Rebecca Grace said...

Hi, Cynthia! I love your bowtie blocks and I especially love your determination to make only one of each fabric. Since you are the Scrap Queen, do you have a post somewhere where you discuss scrap organization/scrap management? In the past I've put my scraps in wire bins loosely organized by color, but I cut way too many 1 1/2" strips for my pineapple log cabin blocks and I'm wondering how I ought to store them so that they are ready to go for string pieced scrappy projects at some point in the future. Right now they are draped all over a large laundry drying rack that is taking up valuable floor space in my studio and blocking access to a window, but I'm afraid that if I throw all the strips into the wire bins they will be a wrinkled, rumpled mess and each one will need ironing before it can be used. Is there a better way to store them so they are out of my way for now, but ready to go some other day when I'm ready to work with them again? Thanks!

01 09 10