Friday, August 2, 2019

Another Tumbler Finish

I have made a few quilts using my AccuQuilt 3.5" tumbler die but this is the first quilt I have used using my 6.5" die.  Thanks to all the alignment notches right in the die, this quilt was a breeze to sew!



I pulled a bunch of leftover Parsons Gray/Curious Nature fabrics from my stash and the stash of a friend.  There were a bunch of odd cuts and because we both bought the fabric lines, there were many duplicate pieces.  Anything that was large enough was cut into the tumbler shape.  In fact, some of the prints, I actually pieced some strips together so they would fit the die.  

It was time for this fabric to be used up!



I decided to lay the tumbler shape on its side and sew them up in columns.  I also used the lighter fabrics to form some bowtie shapes throughout the quilt.  

There were some fabrics that I had a lot of pieces and a few I only had a few.  I just tried to distribute them all as best I could.



 For the quilting, I used a pantograph called Ebb & Flow.  It worked really well with the fabrics and the tumbler shape.  I also used a dark gray thread for the quilting.




I still had a few prints that I wanted to use up so I planned those for the back.



I will definitely make many more quilts using this tumbler shape.  I think the size of this quilt turned out to be about 54 x 60.  The smaller size was perfect for color blending but I like this tumbler size because it shows off the fabric prints so well!


Accuquilt Dynamic Promo


Perfect timing!  AccuQuilt is currently hosting a sale on both the Studio model and it's dies (which is the unit I have) and has discounted the Go! dies as well.

21 comments:

grammajudyb said...

That tumbler quilt is awesome. It speaks to me as a baby boy quilt! Love it!.. An AccuQuilt cutter is on my wish list!.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have the 3.5 inch die and started to cut some last year for a scrappy quilt and never got back to them - I should have done that one for a RSC quilt - maybe next year I can get back to it.

Vicki in MN said...

I love this scrappy tumbler! So can I ask why you chose Studio over the Go...just curious.

Carla Bataran said...

I love the fabrics and the color choices for this beautiful quilt. I have tons of scraps left from 30 years of quilting and love to find quilts that I can sew with them. I am always on the look out for ideas for my darker scraps. The lights and a lot of mediums seem to be no problem but now with the ‘fresh’ quilt fabric that has been on the market, it is a bit more challenging for me to find ideas of quilts that I would love to make with these darker scraps.

I am sure that I will have to try using your color recipe for a future quilt. Without looking back at the Tumbler quilt I seem to remember teal, grey, some black and brown with a touch of green. And that it the list of scrap colors that I keep pushing aside when I start new quilts. But, as this quilt clearly shows, what a wow impact. But then again, you seen to have paired a perfect quilt pattern with this really nice color combination. Spark of genius if you ask me. Congratulations.

Lisa J. said...

It's a beautiful quilt with wonderful quilting.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's beautiful, Cyndy! I like the big tumblers, and the spots where you put two of the same together are really neat. Lovely, mellow colors, too!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I looked at a Tumbler die @ Sewing Expo today. Opted for an Orange Peel. Now, that I see your quilt, I wish I had gone with the tumbler! It looks SEW very restful.

Jenny said...

Looks great, with a nice masculine feel to it. It's so easy to make pretty girly quilts that we sometimes we forget to make something more suitable for their brothers!

Louise said...

I really like the tumbler on their sides, forming bow ties. You must have had quite a bit of that fabric. It seems like you've made a number of quilts from it! Good thing it is great fabric :)

JanineMarie said...

I’ve never been super interested in tumbler quilts, but by turning the tumblers on their sides and making the bow ties, you’ve created a whole different look that’s really attractive. I like the soft blue against the gray, too. Such a calm quilt!

moosecraft said...

Beautiful! The combination of color and shape along with the quilting....makes me "see" swimming fishes! Love it! :-)

Jayne said...

I love the large tumblers set sideways! What a great way to use larger scraps...lots of them...and the layout is perfect!

chrisknits said...

I just love this quilt. It's so calming.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A great quilt! Love the tumbler shape, and love your colour combo in this too!

Rebecca Grace said...

Your sideways tumblers look great! With your fabric colors and quilting design, they remind me of fishies swimming in the ocean.

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

Your distribution of the fabrics you had looks great. I love that you pieced some fabric and then cut it into tumblers. What an easy solution! Once it's quilted up, no one notices those extra seams.

Sharon Tucker said...

This tumbler quilt is LOVELY and I love the colorway. You reminded me I have the 4.5 tumbler die and I should use it to try to 'eat up' my scraps. I love your trick to piece the fabric before cutting with the die - I did the same thing with a few pieces in my rainbow postage stamp top! :-)

Gemini Jen NZ said...

I love tumbler quilts - the quilting you have done on this is really cool too.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

This turned out great. Can't wait to start playing with my tumbler die.

Kristin said...

This is really pretty! I like how a few of the tumblers line up and look like bow ties. The colors are soothing and match the feel of the panto. xoxo

lori said...

I just purchased the larger tumbler die from accu quilt.I a, new to sewing,was wanting to make reversible place mates.How would I quilt when finishing

01 09 10