Friday, January 24, 2020

Nighttime Sky



I have finished my Nighttime Sky improv wall hanging.  

I used the same technique I used on my Improv Garden and pillow.  I really like how it turned out!



The size of this piece is just 36" square and is made from navy and yellow scraps.



I changed up the lighting here so you can see the dark fabrics in the background really have a lot going on in them.  There is a lot of purples, turquoise and gray that add a lot of interest.



On the back, I used a New York City piece I have been hoarding for years.  It was released before 9/11 so the twin towers are on it (look upper left right next to the quilted circle).  The colors really do seem to glow on it.



This one will be another sample for my Improv class.  
I look forward to seeing what my students create!




Linking Up:


15 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the twin towers fabric will be perfect for this! I wouldn't have known what to use it for ether and would have been hanging onto it.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Having a lot of samples for students to see the technique is going to give them a lot to consider. Beautiful and fun mini!

Linda said...

This is stunning, and the back is just so beautifully meaningful.

Julierose said...

I love this representation of a Night Sky--the yellows do glow..beautiful work on this one...I may have to try one, too...
hugs, Julierose

Pamela said...

This is a gorgeous quilt!

Tami Von Zalez said...

Really like the midnight blue background and the pop of yellow gold. I have some fabric I am saving for backgrounds. They just have to be matched up with the right flimsy.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What a striking quilt that makes, Cyndy! I love the dark blues contrasting with the bright stars. And I agree, that backing is perfect! It really will be nice for your students to see the different examples you've made. Is that class coming up soon?

Ellie said...

What a stunning quilt! The variety of fabrics in the background is just right to show the depth of space and give the right feeling
. Great sample for your class.

scraphappy said...

So much interest with the fabric selections. Glad you found a use for the skyline fabric.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on getting your class sample completed, Cynthia! I hope that your teaching schedule is filling up to just the right amount of home and away. Your students will be SEW pleased to see the options available for this technique.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

what a great finish!!! he mix of colors make it look like a painting! and the backing is perfect for it!

em's scrapbag said...

This is fabulous!

Joni said...

Perfection! Your quilting is so dramatic.Can't think of a better use for the backing fabric.

Anonymous said...

Very cool! That's a keeper with that backing. I wonder if that fabric is still available.
Kathleen -- kakingsbury at verizon dot net

PaintedThread said...

What a fun quilt. Those colors - I love that gold with that blue.

01 09 10