Sunday, August 9, 2020

Oh Scrap! : Something New

 A few weeks back, I shared that a friend of mine gifted me two large bags of scraps.  I tried to get them quickly sorted and put away so I could focus on other things.  But I did get sucked in by a couple scrap piles and started some new quilts.


One of the scraps I started to play with was this colorful fabric with some flavors written on it.  There were a number of larger scrap pieces - I am thinking they were leftover from some bag making.


I decided it needed to be made into these fun ice cream cone blocks.  
Or maybe they are snow cones.

I will be using the same gray dotted fabric from my stash for all of the blocks.  The ice cream scoops will all come from my scrap bins.

And this is why I just can't throw any unloved scraps away.  This (blech) brown fabric makes the perfect chocolate chip cone!

I made up the block using my Tri-Recs Tool.  The cone is 6.5" wide.  Then I added a 4.5" x 6.5" rectangle with two flip corners for the scoop.

I will probably have to add some background fabric to the sides of the blocks but until I decided where I am going with these, I will wait.

oh...and I see in the photos my rotary blade isn't closed.  Bad Cynthia!


*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 

Quilting is more fun than Housework


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter



24 comments:

Chantal said...

I love this printed fabric too. Making cones is perfect for this print. Enjoy! ;^)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Ice cream cones was a good idea - I never really seem to know what some brown colors either

grammajudyb said...

Those are going be fun to make! So many possibilities!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Isn't it great when the scraps tell us what they want to be? Love the ice cream cone blocks.

gayle said...

What a perfect summertime quilt!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a fun piece of fabric to be playing with! I think you came up with the perfect block, too. Have a great Sunday, Cyndy!

Cathy said...

Those look like fun! Thanks for telling us how you made them. There should be some clever comment in here somewhere about if you can't lick them join them but...brain freeze!

cityquilter grace said...

so cute and a perfect idea!

Jayne said...

The things you do with scraps! This is adorable and is going to be a delicious quilt when it's done!!

LA Paylor said...

so adorable.... I have lots of candy like fabrics that would look cute as ice cream. I've not tried my tri recs rulers... you're tempting me....thats a good summer project
LeeAnna

Vicki in MN said...

That will be one sweet quilt!!!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Yes, save all scraps. It seems their day will come and yours is so perfect. I also love those nifty tools you used, Cynthia.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is a really cute project especially in these very hot days, who doesn't love icecream? We fine our students for not closing blades (I am very conscious of that having been cut badly from an open blade) - a quarter a blade and that money goes into a necessary item for a class project.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a cute kids' quilt this will be!!!

Susie H said...

Love your cones! Perfect summertime quilt!

Jenny said...

What a great idea to use that fabric for ice cream cones, clever you!

Louise said...

What a fun block! Clever use of the tri-recs, I love it!

MissPat said...

What a great use for a text print with a large font.This is definitely a summer winner.
Pat

Bonnie said...

An ice cream cone sounds fabulous now... not happening in the middle of the night! But yours look very cute and I bet they'd be scrumptious! I find I leave my blade open more and more these days. I used to be very good about closing it. Must think about it when I finish cutting! Enjoy your week.

Rebecca Grace said...

Ooh, I love your ice cream cone blocks, Cynthia!

Susan said...

Isn't that fun and super cute too!!

Emily said...

Yum! What a delicious scrap quilt this will be! Fun fabric for cones--and I'm with you on the blah brown fabric being perfect ice cream!

KaHolly said...

Too much fun! I got sucked in one summer when a friend dropped off a bag of scraps. Had lots of fun, made a few wonderful quilts!

dq said...

Now that is the perfect pattern to go with that fabric!

01 09 10