Friday, November 29, 2013

Double Crossed Finish

I hope all of my US friends are enjoying the holiday weekend!  The weather has been quite cold here for Oregon so I have been more than happy to stay indoors and finish up a few projects.  
Here is what I am sharing today!



I finally finished up sewing on the binding on my Double Crossed quilt.  I made it a bit larger than the pattern called out  (64" x 80") as I really wanted a nice size for napping.



http://amysmart.bigcartel.com/



I used Amy Smart's Double Crossed pattern as a guideline but as I was using up some leftover fabrics, I made some variations.  I used two different fabrics in her white spaces and also made the inner diamonds two different colors.











When I laid out the blocks on my design wall, I only made about 5 block changes.  I rarely worry about the same fabrics near or even touching.  This is something I learned from some of my quilting friends who are masters at scrap quilts.  I find this recklessness makes the quilts more interesting (Or it could be I'm just lazy.).  I like to just ensure a balance of color placement throughout the quilt.



I also think this recklessness helps to hide your secrets.  I was short a couple pieces of the grayish purple and just used pieces of the brighter purple.  I simply hid them out on the border.  
(Did you notice it on the first picture?)


For the quilting, I went with a simple swirl.  As this quilt may be one of my TV quilts (my closest friends knows this means my big dinner napkin), I knew it would be washed alot so I wanted it to be durable.


On the back, I just added one large inset as the backing fabric I had wasn't quite big enough.  I was even able to work in some pieces from the top I had cut incorrectly, which saved them from ending up in the scrap bin.  Any time I can do that is another added bonus.

I had challenged myself to make this quilt entirely from fabrics I had in my stash and I am happy to say I accomplished it!  And to like the finished quilt so much is certainly something to celebrate!

Thanks for stopping by! 


https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/5198185

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Fridays, Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I get a Whoop Whoop Friday and Sew Can She for Show Off Saturday.  How about you.  Are you celebrating a finish?

29 comments:

Conni said...

LOVE IT, great colours, love the purples!!

Renae said...

I want to make a purple quilt. Yours is lovely!

Anonymous said...

I did not notice the color switch till it was pointed out. :-) Clever placement. Patterns were made to be modified, IMO. Attractive quilt.

Lorna McMahon said...

Marvelous! Thanks for sharing your secrets.... Both about the scrappy randomness and about your dinner habits. Ha, ha! Gorgeous finish, Cynthia. It really is a good size quilt for snuggling up while watching t.v. or napping. And very pretty!

Tami C said...

Very nice Cynthia! Love the colors you chose!

Lauren Deel said...

LOVE this quilt! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous quilt - you've got a great eye for colour.

Renee said...

It turned out beautiful! Love that is all from your stash too!

Sara said...

The purples paired with the grey is breathtaking and the pattern is an excellent choice!! I may have to try this one in the future!

Barb Neiwert said...

Georgeous, of course. And no, we wouldn't have noticed the difference in colors unless you hadn't pointed it out to us. Silly you. I am learning, ever so slowly, not to point out ALL my flaws to anyone who looks at my quilts. It's hard, but like I said, I'm learning.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful quilt, Cyndy. I love it just the way it is.
Nice floor in the background.
Carol O

Pamela said...

Nice work - love the back! I've been doing this quite a bit lately and I love the effect!

Linda B said...

It's beautiful. Your colors and fabrics are so pretty. I'm sure you'll have great snuggles with this beauty!

stitch quilt knit said...

Love the choice of colours. Beautiful!!

ipatchandquilt said...

Your quilt is wonderful. I love the tweaks and the colours are just amazing together.
Esther
esthersipatchandquilt@yahoo.com
ipatchandquilt.wordpress.com

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

I so love the purples. It is perfect in every way - even the touching fabric! :)

Shauna said...

Beautiful finish!! I didn't notice your fabric swaps - the overall is what counts.

Little Island Quilting said...

Love the fabrics you have chosen for this quilt

Muv said...

Wonderful colours. Your version is much more interesting.

Snowcatcher said...

Great pattern and wonderful colors. I love a quilt that forces me to keep looking, and this does just that.

Karen H said...

I've been waiting to see this one quilted and it is wonderful. I love the colours you've used and the quilting sets it all off perfectly. I like your version of the pattern - it is very interesting!

Kim @ TiesThatBindQuilting said...

This looks great! Love the colors!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I love these rich colors! Gorgeous. I will admit to being finicky about the same fabrics touching in a scrappy quilt but I like your philosophy! I tend to spread the "Attention Seekers" around in my layout and start from there.

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Lovely quilt! The color combination really works! And I love your attitude about not over-thinking placement of blocks! So freeing!

Gemma@prettybobbins said...

Such great colours and lovely quilting! Thanks for linking up :)

Dresden Quilter said...

This is gorgeous. I love the fabrics and colours you chose.

Anna and Sarah said...

We just followed your blog! Please come follow us back! Thanks.

quackadoodlequilt.blogspot.com

SewPsyched! said...

i love it!!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I missed this post as I was away on vacation so am especially grateful your reshared in under our Lap QUilts theme this week. I LOVE the color combination. I agree with everyone else, it really is a gorgeious finish Cynthia.

01 09 10