Friday, August 15, 2014

With a Little Help from Friends

Recently I got together with a group of women for a sew day.  We meet monthly and I always teach a technique and we make a quilt for charity with the blocks we make.  This month we played with HSTs.

The only information I gave them prior to getting together was to pull a gray and a turquoise from their stash to bring with them to the class.  I chose these two colors purposely because they are always interpreted differently and I wanted to show how beautiful variations in color can be.




Many in the group have made HSTs in the past but none had used or even heard of the Magic 8 method.  With a little marking, sewing and cutting, from two 12" squares, you can have 8 HST units very quickly.  This tutorial on Craftsy does an excellent job explaining it.






I also wanted to bring my Bloc Loc ruler for them to try out and use.  Some liked it immediately, others found it difficult to understand how it worked.  
I think it is a brilliant tool and use it for trimming up all my HSTs.



Above is the quilt that was made with the squares made by the group. 
 I love how it just seems to glow.



 For the quilting. I simply stitched a square spiral in each HST unit and traveled through to the next square.  This made the quilting quick and continuous.  The wonderful texture it gave the quilt was an extra bonus!



A turquoise and gray hexagon fabric from my stash was used for the backing and I bound it with an old piece of turquoise fabric from a bygone project.  The quilt ended up being 40" square.


100 Quilts for Kids 
This sweet little quilt is now added to the growing stack of quilts being donated to Bags of Love as part of the 100 Quilts for Kids event hosted by Heather at Quilts in the Queue.  A big thanks to my friends who helped get this one done so quickly (even though they worried a bit that their fabrics wouldn't all work together!)



If you are interested in more ways to follow me, you can find me on Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', Feedly, Instagram, Google +, or get my blog sent right to your email inbox by entering your email address on the right sidebar!

the Purge Linking up:  

33 comments:

Lauren Deel said...

I LOVE this one! The quilting is great, too. What a fun day!

Ruth said...

Lovely idea and the colour combination really works very well!

~Diana said...

Great color combo! Well done!

Unknown said...

Great idea....and I love my Bloc Loc ruler! Used for the first time to do a HST quilt...I'll never go back!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Oh, the color combinations are beautiful and it does seem to glow!

Anonymous said...

What a pretty little quilt! I love the colors!

quiltmania said...

Sounds like a great way for quilting friends to spend a day!

Vera said...

Beautiful color combo.

Shauna said...

I love the colors, such great combination

Sylvia said...

Beautiful colors in this quilt!

dq said...

This is darling! I love the colors and the simplicity - beautiful!

Renee said...

I <3love<3 these colors together, and love hst--so this quilt is like perfection to me. Beautiful!

ipatchandquilt said...

Such peaceful colours! Love it!!!
Esther

Michele T said...

I love the colours and pattern of this quilt!! Thanks for sharing and inspiring me!!! Two of my friends are expecting and we're all waiting for the stork to deliver!! Once that happens I'll be working on baby quilts!! I am liking this one!!!

Vicki said...

It does glow! Very, very nice.

Micki @ 2 Dogs Studio said...

turned out beautiful and really love the quilting design you choose.

Amanda said...

This looks great! I enjoyed seeing your reasoning behind the color choices

Afton Warrick said...

I love the color combination on your HST quilt. I'm a major fan of the Bloc Loc ruler too. It's saved me a ton of time. I pair it with a rotating cutting mat so I can be completely lazy and not even lift up the block or ruler to do the entire HST. Thanks for joining the party at TGIFF.

Anonymous said...

I really like this! I recently bought some mint/grey fabric - I think it has a future as HSTs!

Anonymous said...

What a great quilt. The idea of illustrating the color differences with the gray and turquoise was a good one. I just made a pillow top with this exact pattern-- the offset diamond shape using hst's. I think I might copy your quilting pattern. It looks great with this. Ok? Thanks for sharing this. 😊

Karen said...

Very pretty quilt. Some little one is going to love this quilty hug.

Georgi said...

LOVE the colors and the pattern of this quilt! I hear ya on the Bloc Loc HST ruler ~ I thought it was kind of pricey at first, but when you consider how much time it saves it's totally worth it!

Marcy said...

Great colors and layout. What fun they must have sewing for a purpose.

Paulette said...

Such a sweet quilt! Love the colors!

Michele said...

What a great way to get a gorgeous quilt made. Congrats to all the ladies for a job well done.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Great team effort! Great result. I love the contrast of colors and the squared quilting.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! Love these colors. Thanks for donating to 100 Quilts for Kids!

Míša said...

Really beautiful quilt and I love the idea of meeting with some friends to make a quilt for charity too

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

Lovely colors and design, and I really like your quilting design!

Andrea said...

I really love the colors, the pattern, the classic simplicity of the design! Turquoise is my favorite color and pairing it with grey is just plain perfect. I also love the quilting and backing. I want one similar to this...need a few more greys in my stash ;)

memmens said...

It's brilliant - well done

Unknown said...

When I came across this quilt, I just knew immediately that I had to make it! I absolutely love turquoise/Aqua, and the look with grays is so striking. Love the pattern too, and it works for either a baby boy or girl too. Thanks for sharing it with such great pictures!

Anonymous said...

I would like to get the pattern for this. Where would I find it?

01 09 10