Friday, July 21, 2017

Festive Picnic Finish

Look what I finished just in time for picnic season!



My red, white and blue string quilt is quilted and bound.
I made the red and the blue string blocks as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I knew I had a few patriotic scraps that I could use to create a nice outside border.  I really like how it turned out!



In a white thread, I simply quilted some loops and stars. 
I thought it went beautifully with the theme of the quilt.



I had one piece of yardage that wasn't quite big enough for the backing, so I used some leftover striped fabrics to make it large enough.  Another RWB striped fabric was used for the binding.  I can now say, my patriotic scraps/fabrics are pretty much all used up!



I really had fun plying with the different sized string blocks.  You can see some of the other layout ideas I considered here.

 I received the parts for my longarm but sadly, it didn't fix the problem.  We have determined there is a short in some of the cabling and I am unable to fix it myself.  Bummer.  Now I need to send Pete back to the factory.  We did get him working....kinda.  So I am trying to finish up what I can before I break him down for shipping.

I guess I get a long vacation this summer!




26 comments:

Libby in TN said...

More time for piecing! Love how the picnic quilt turned out.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Oh bummer to hear about Pete needing to be sent off! Fingers crossed he isn't away for too long. Beautiful picnic quilt!

chrisknits said...

The quilt is awesome! Yay for finishes! I just took my sewing machine in for service and repair. $225 dollars! Eek!. Oh well, it brings me priceless joy, so it's worth it to have Nina up and running true again.

Lisa England said...

Wow, it turned out so gorgeous! I just love it.

Alison V. said...

This is so summery and fun! :)

Kat said...

This is a killer scrappy quilt! Love how it turned out!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love this one, Cyndy! Such a great layout and colors. There's so much you can do with string blocks and I think this one is my favorite yet! So sorry about Pete, and hope it doesn't take too long to get him back.

Kristen Willard said...

I absolutely love this quilt. Perfect mash up of traditional and modern aesthetics. Well done!

tisha @ quiltytherapy said...

So good!! Love it!

Cathy said...

Wonderful finish! I'd say I feel like a picnic but it's waaaaaaay too hot here for that!

Well with Pete gone you can always quilt something on your DSM like some of us have to!

Jenny said...

That's wonderful - you must be so pleased with how it all turned out.

Jo said...

It has really turned out lovely...

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

LOVE that quilt!!! That is just a fabulous stash buster. Hope your machine gets back in order soon.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on using up your Patriotic strings. The quilt turned out great!! Sorry to hear that Pete has to be airlifted to the hospital. Hoping he's back and better than ever real soon!!

Louise said...

It looks so, so great! I love how you laid out the center blue blocks to form that cross shape. What a fun picnic quilt :)

Liz said...

That is really beautiful, and such a great picnic quilt! I love how it's sort of improv ... yet also structured. It's not too crazy, but it's really interesting, it's just right!

Jayne said...

This does look amazing! I'm all for different sizes of blocks especially when it looks like this one! Beautiful!

Georgia said...

This is a great quilt, Cynthia! A fresh take on string blocks--

Pamela Arbour said...

That is Fabulous! You did a fantastic job putting this one together. It is just perfect for any occasion!

Jasmine said...

Wow! I love how this turned out. The backing fabric was perfect for it. I'm glad you were able to get your machine working temporarily.

Emily said...

What a great picnic blanket!

Quilter Kathy said...

A fantastic finish! Well done!

Barb Neiwert said...

What a pretty quilt! I just love your work. SO sorry about Pete - my goodness, that's just not fair.

Quiltin Jenny said...

Great scrap busting project and super cute quilt! Love these string blocks and the layout you used!

Kathleen said...

Really love this!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love love love this one!!! so sorry about Pete... I wish I had advice.... but will send positive thoughts that his recovery is MUCH quicker!!

01 09 10