Friday, December 22, 2017

Scrappy Squares

Just how many more finishes will I be able to sneak out in 2017?
This one might just be the last one!


 I love quilts that are 100% scraps!  This one started out with some 1" wide grays strips I found near my cutting board.  The centers came from my 2.5" square stash and the outer frames are mostly leftover binding pieces.  It finishes up at about 50" x 60".



I tried to keep the colors to purples, blues, blacks and grays.  I really liked the contrast of the light lavender and the dark blacks and navy.



Digging deep, I found a blue gray batik and added in a wide inset of the perfect dotted fabric (I had just enough!).  Both have been in my stash forever so it was nice to be able to use them.

I think I am going to take this one (and maybe a few others) to a kid's charity I support.  I feel like it wants to bring some comfort to a child so I will send it on its way.  I know the need is great this time of year.

...and I believe there is a whole bunch of love in a modest scrappy quilt!  :)




Linking Up:

17 comments:

Kate said...

It such a fun and colorful quilt. Love the colors you picked for this project. It will definitely brighten a young person's holiday. Happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks great - I like the narrow gray strips around the pieces

dq said...

You sound like me...push push push to the end! Doesn't it feel great to cross another one off? I love loev love this quilt! I love how you put the fabrics together.

Vicki in MN said...

I agree so much needed at this time of year. I was wishing I had done more and then I remembered I had donated a bunch of quilts earlier this year. But I think some donation knitting might be in the plan this winter. Your quilts will give comfort, warmth and job to some childern. Your scrappy's always look so great! Merry Christmas!

Ivani said...

It is a beautiful quilt and for sure will give confort and add a smile on some child's face.

JanineMarie said...

I love this! I have a group of pieces set aside for a quilt that would have been just the square in a square. Do you mind if I copy you and use the narrow border around the center squares? I promise I’ll give you credit!

Louise said...

It turned out great! And I love that it whispered in your ear exactly where it wanted to live: with a child who will peer at each of those little squares and snuggle under a sea of pretty purple. You're a wise woman to listen to quilt whisperings :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW much love in a scrappy quilt!! This one turned out GREAT!

Janice Holton said...

I love the way you listen to your inner quilt whisperer. :) It is so fun seeing the scrappy things you come up with, Cindy! What a great finish for 2017. :)

Pamela Arbour said...

You really have an eye for seeing your scraps turn into beautiful quilts. Very nice. I always enjoy seeing what you come up with.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

I will remember those color choices for a scrap quilt (purple, blue, black and gray). Love it!

Barb N said...

Very nice finish. Love the scrappiness of your color choices :)

Jen Shaffer said...

Great finish! I love the color combo and how it all came together.

grammajudyb said...

Awesome finish. I like it a lot! I am sure it will bring a great deal of comfort!

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the colours in this scrap quilt and the simple pattern of square and strips.

Jasmine said...

I love how this one turned out.

Sandy Panagos said...

It's amazing what you can find when you dig deep int that stash. In this case the makings of a great quilt. Love it!

01 09 10