Friday, July 1, 2022

Two More CIL Finishes

 Can you believe it? - I have two finishes to share today!

I have been working hard to get all the Covered in Love blocks sewn into quilts.  I have switched from the Tall Nine to the Patriotic Star blocks and already have a couple finishes.

I was sent enough blocks to make three quilts but I challenged myself to make four.  Today I will start sharing the tricks I used to stretch the blocks further.



An easy way to make a quilt with fewer blocks is to add sashing.  For this one I added 2.5" cut sashing with red cornerstones.




I used a RWB print that looks a little like fireworks and red stars for the cornerstones.  To make the light sashing shine, I mostly used blocks with red or blue on the outside edges of the block.




There is always such a wonderful assortment of star blocks.
You can see I quilted this one with some swirls in a white thread.



I was supplied with lots of the white fabric so I also used it on the back.  And used the red stars for the binding.

Adding the sashing meant with 20 blocks I had almost the same size quilt as a 30 block quilt.



Here is the second quilt I am sharing today.  For this one I used blocks with light backgrounds and used a red sashing with no cornerstones.  It can be tricky to line up the blocks with this type of sashing but I used my trusty hera marker to mark the sashing like in this post



Again, I cut 2.5" strips for the sashing so these 20 blocks make the same size quilt I would have had using 30 blocks without sashing.



For the binding, I used one Kat sent me that was ready to go.  It was a scrappy one from all blue and white solid fabrics.  It looked great up against the red starts.



On the back, I was able to use a wonderful bright blue bandana fabric.  I know many quilters send off a lot of this fabric with their blocks.  I know Kat really appreciates it!

I have two more patriotic star quilts to share.  They are waiting to be quilted but the tops are done.  I think you will like how I laid them out.  Each quilt is a little different!  So Stay tuned!

Also, if you want to read more about Covered in Love, you can do so on Kat's blog.



16 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautiful!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Lining up sashed blocks with no corner stones can be tricky. The Hera marker trick is a good one. What great ways to stretch the blocks into an additional quilt! Patriotic star quilts always tug at my heart! Well done!

Ivani said...

Love both quilts. Well done Cynthia. Congrats

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The r, w, and b star quilts are so striking! Fun to see all the different stars everyone makes. The fabric you used for the sashing and backing in the first quilt is perfect for that purpose, too. Great finishes!

Bonnie said...

Great looking quilts. Thanks for mentioning that adding sashing can increase the size of a quilt. I've never actually thought of it that way. I generally think of it as separating the blocks, especially if they are busy. Nice group of finishes.

Libby in TN said...

Sashing, on-point setting, and alternate plain blocks are all great stretchers!

Barb N said...

So pretty! And perfect time of year to be working on them :) happy Fourth!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Cynthia, These are so gorgeous and just in time for the next round of RW&B! I Love your cornerstones and sashing. It is clever to squeeze extra space to create an entire additional quilt. I especially love how your sashing fabric matches the backing. You are rocking this just in time for 4th of July!! I never tire of these designs. They are so cheery and perfect for summer. I know the mission of CIL isn't one of joy, but there is cheer in bringing bright, patriotic quilts to families experiencing loss. Well done and Kat is lucky to have you on her team!!

gayle said...

Excellent plan to stretch those blocks into an extra quilt, especially in such a beautiful way!

KaHolly said...

These are amazing, and so are you!

Sandy Panagos said...

Great finishes, as always!

Quiltpiecer said...

Wow, so beautiful! Congrats on the great finishes!

QuiltGranma said...

These would be great Quilts of Valor too. Great job!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow!!! Look at you go!!!
Those are so beautiful!!! and will bring love!

Sue said...

I see several of my blocks in these quilts! Thanks for sewing them up & making them all look great!

Allison said...

Thank you for sharing these helpful tips on how to use sashing to make the most of a collection of blocks. You've really made lovely quilts that hi-light the blocks perfectly.

01 09 10