Friday, August 19, 2022

Just In Time!

 I finished my Mercyful Quilt just in the nick of time.  

The final link-up is on this Sunday over at Bernie's blog (Needle and Foot). I knew I needed to buckle down and I am pleased I actually met the deadline.


I started out making green blocks but quickly found out I did not have a bunch of large scraps.  I used the method Preeti shared on her blog.  So next I had to dig into my blue scraps.  I found the same problem there.



I dug into my purple bin and found enough scraps to finish the blocks I needed.  I decided to keep the background really scrappy.  I shared how I went about doing that in this post.




I tried to initially scatter the three colors but I really didn't like how it looked. (Sorry, no photo.)  So I decided to group the colors diagonally.  I thought I would go with that layout and I am really pleased with how it turned out.



I quilted it with a grid using a serpentine line.  The block design makes this quilting really easy.  I found an old green print for the back and used some striped scraps for the binding.  I had some bold blue, green and purple stripe prints but none of them were big enough for the entire quilt.  So I attached them together so they would fall around the quilt close to those colors.  It worked perfectly!



I will be sending this quilt off next week.  A big thanks to Bernie and Pretti for hosting the event and to all the sponsors who donated prizes.

Next, I am going to focus on my Paper-pieced letters (for my show booth banner) and my June UFO quilt.  I hope both of those projects become finishes soon too.

Have a great weekend!





Linking Up:

15 comments:

karenbbsnow said...

That layout of colours works so well. Great finish!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your quilt turned out perfectly - it is pretty

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your quilt is wonderful. I like the rainbow layout. It feels like that was your plan all along!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I love the way it came together and that you were able to use so many scraps to great effect. The serpentine quilting finishes it off nicely and it looks like its going to be wonderful to snuggle under.

Linda Swanekamp said...

It came out just wonderful! Love how you made it all go together. So glad you got it done in time.

Julierose said...

this is so beautiful--I love the colors in that configuration...nice work hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the green, blue, and purple together, and of course, the scrappy backgrounds! You finished right on time, I would say!

piecefulwendy said...

Your quilt sure turned out lovely! Yay for finishing just in time!

scraphappy said...

The layout does look great with the diagonal line of the blocks. Congrats on getting it done in time!

Michelle said...

Absolutely beautiful! And well done!

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is beautiful. I like your layout. Thanks for directing us to the way you made your blocks. I might try that method. Thanks for sharing.

grammajudyb said...

Oh my that is so fun! Scrappy Happy! I love it!

Ivani said...

It is lovely, Cynthia!
Love the colors and lay-out.

Bernie Kringel said...

Beautiful finish! I knew you'd come up with something pretty - the colors and the layout are wonderful. Thank you for participating and donating (another!!!) quilt to Mercy Hospital. You're awesome support is much appreciated. :-)

Susie H said...

Great job, Cynthia! I love the various backgrounds and your layout worked beautifully! Doesn't it feel good to get a deadline checked off the list? I know I was kind of sweating it too but finished up as well. Good luck with the next list of projects!

01 09 10