Friday, October 21, 2022

Last of the Placemats

 I have been working on placemats for almost ten months now!  I did enjoy making them but I have to admit, I am glad this project is finished and I can clean up my sewing room.  Working continually with these tiny scraps has wreaked havoc around my hose....They were everywhere!



When I started this project, I purged my fabric stash of unloved pieces that would make good backings for placemats.  About two months ago, I started focusing on making the tops for the backings I had.  That is why for the last few postings, the colors have been a mix.  These last seven placemats used up the last of the unloved fabric I had pulled.  You can also tell, I used strips mostly so they assembled up quickly.

I also used up a hug pile of batting pieces I had been saving for decades.  I still have a few larger pieces but I can use those for frankenbatting in the future.



The final count is 173 placemats.  This stack is 26 inches high and weighs about 24 pounds.  The place I am delivering them to is about a quarter mile from my house.  I should walk them there but they are too unwieldy.

These are all going to Meals on Wheels to be handed out to my region in Eugene Oregon.  I was told there are more than enough for my neighbors - the rest will go to another area for distribution.  I think they are planning for them to go out with a holiday meal.

I trimmed them all down to 11 x 15".

You would think they would have used up all of my scraps.  
Truthfully....I am not sure I see a dent in them!

Have a good weekend everyone!




Linking Up:






Accuquilt Dynamic Promo

AccuQuilt is having their "Better than Black Friday" Sale right now.  Great pricing on Cutters, Dies, Qubes and more!  I recently got out my cutter to chop p a bunch of 2.5" squares.  I was done in no time!

19 comments:

Juliana said...

Congratulations! If this were a text, you would get the sound of champagne popping and see confetti falling, so just imagine that with comment. That is quite an accomplishment, and such a wonderful way to bring a special boost of joy to the recipient. This was a very thoughtful project.

Julierose said...

What an amazing array of placemats you've finished...I am sure that the recipients will love them! Hugs, Julierose

Libby in TN said...

Well done! I pulled out my pieces/parts/orphans box this week and placemats may be the best use for most of them.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

wow you stuck to it all year - congratulations I hope the people who receive them will love them

Michelle said...

What an amazing project! That’s an incredible number of placemats. And they will make so many people’s holiday dinners just a bit more special. Well done!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Congratulations on such an awesome accomplishment! The Meals on Wheels individuals will be thrilled to receive a wonderful placemat along with their holiday meal. I understand about the scrap box not looking low on scraps, I think someone comes in my house at night and fills it again! Happy stitching!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What an amazing end to your placemat project. Twenty four pounds. . . .and 173 of them WOW! Isn't it interesting how the scraps leave yet something else takes up that space?? Well done! What a gift to the Meals on Wheels region in Eugene.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

What an incredible stack, this is so impressive. I bet Meals on Wheels is going to be thrilled to receive them and I hope they brighten up their recipients days. And hooray for getting some unloved fabric used up and out of your stash!

Julie in GA said...

Wow, that is an impressive collection of scrappy goodness! I might try doing something like that next year.

Ivani said...

Congrats Cinthya, it is an amazing stack of beautiful placemats, and for a great cause.

Cheryll said...

That's a very worthwhile projects to use up your bits... NiCe job...xox

Jocelyn said...

What a great project! Congratulations on completing 173 of them. I'm sure they will be much appreciated.

Meredith said...

I’ve loved following this project! It ticks so many boxes: clean up of scraps, old blocks and pieces, small project that is finished pretty quickly, and a wonderful, pretty, useful masterpiece! Win, win!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those strips made great placemats! Good for you finishing up that amazing project. Your placemats are going to be well-loved!

loulee said...

Scrap piles never seem to get any smaller, no matter how much we think we have used.
What a truly wonderful and generous thing you have done.

The Joyful Quilter said...

173 placemats in 10 months? SEW fabulous, Cynthia!! Congrats on completing this monumental effort to diminish your scrap supply. Even if you didn't seem to succeed in that respect!

Cathy said...

You go, girl! What an amazing effort you made! The quilts are so varied and nice. I’m sure they will be greatly appreciated. Brava!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Awesome Job!!!! What an amazing stack of love going out to everyone!!!

Barb N said...

That's an amazing amount of love put into your self-made project/donation. Whoohoo! The recipients will be pleased, I'm certain!

01 09 10