Friday, April 7, 2023

Churn Dash Quilt #2

 It has been so much fun to see all the different blocks coming in almost every day.  Many of them inspire some of the designs I come up with.




Today's quilt was the first quilt I put together.  These were some of the earliest blocks I received and I think Nann donated most of these blocks.  I love to stagger blocks because some interesting secondary designs show themselves.  These Churn Dash blocks did not disappoint!



I really wanted a red backing on this one.  So I pulled an extra-wide scroll print that a client gifted me a few months back (She purchased it from Connecting Threads).  I bound the quilt with a bright blue batik that was sent for this drive.


To get the staggered effect, in columns two and four, I added in a piece of fabric equal to half a block (6.5" x 12.5").  Because this quilt was made early in the block drive, I only had a few prints to choose from (without cutting into a large piece).  I don't love the piece I chose but it looks far better in person than this photo depicts.

Doesn't the quilt look nice?!

I will most definitely repeat this layout if I end up with enough large blocks.  This quilt measures 60 x 72" and will hopefully bring comfort to a veteran in the very near future.

I am still taking block donations for these quilts.  I would like to receive them all by the end of April so that I have May to finish up all the quilts.  (You can read more about these Compassion Quilts here.)

I wonder how many quilts we will end up with on this drive!




9 comments:

Chantal said...

The staggering blocks do make a thing to my eyes. It's cool. I agree with you about the added fabric but it'll do. ;^)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those are wonderful blocks!! and what a fun stagger!!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I like the secondary effect that is created with the stagger! Well done! What a terrific finish!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I am really curious how many you will end up making from this drive, too. I do love a good churn dash block and I'm delighted to read about all the gifted fabric you are getting to help assemble and finish them up.

Kate said...

A very fun and different finish. Looking forward to seeing more layouts with those churn dash blocks.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on the 2nd Churn Dash quilt for the Compassion Quilt project!!

Susan said...

I made a batch of 4-patches this morning, because I had the right size squares, some blues and reds. I plan on making churn dashes, too, but this sounds like you won't be taking blocks for very long?

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Did you get the blocks I sent?

MissPat said...

I've got some 4 patches sewn, but ran out of time to trim them and get them in the mail before leaving on a ten day trip. I'll mail them as soon as I get home, so you should get them b y the end of April.
Pat

01 09 10