Friday, April 21, 2023

Orphan Block Quilt Finish

A few months ago, one of my friends came across a bunch of orphan blocks in her sewing room.

So she thought she would bring them to me to see what I could do with them...



I was intrigued by these 9" economy blocks.  There were six of them and I thought they would be a great place to start.  Matching the color had me stumped for months.  I kept digging through my stash looking for something to match them.  I finally found some pieces in my Kaffe Fassett stash.  

She also gave me some small hourglass blocks and some weird gold printed strips that I think were trimmed off a panel.  I decided to use the trim as the sashing and the hourglass blocks became the cornerstones.




There were a bunch of finished flying geese blocks so I used those in the border.



Here is how the finished quilt turned out.  I didn't have any large cuts of the Kaffe Fassett fabric so I had to use two different prints in the border.  

I have to admit, I felt pretty chuffed after finishing this one.  I thought I would never pull off the challenge.




I even had a nice Kaffe print for the back.  
The quilt isn't that big - I think it measures about 50 x 60".  I am going to send it off with the other Compassion quilts when I make a delivery next week.

It has been a long time since I have played with some orphan blocks.  

It was a fun break from the block drive quilts.




Connecting Threads is having an end of bolt sale....

5 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I love the asymmetry of the two border prints and flying geese anchoring everything. Well done!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh that is pretty! I love how you put all those different parts together like they just belonged. You definitely had the right fabrics in your stash to pull it all together!

sue s said...

You've really done a great job on this one! Lots of lovely Kaffe blends well with the others. I like watching what you do with with the blocks and bits you've been receiving.

maggie fellow said...

oh lovely -hard to believe it was orphan blocks

Nann said...

Your orphans found a new home! I have that Kaffe floral in another colorway -- I've fussy-cut so many of the flowers (perfect size for the centers of blocks) and what's left of the FQ is like Swiss cheese.

01 09 10