Friday, January 24, 2014

Orphan Blocks

If you have been following my blog long, you know I love the challenge of taking orphan blocks and making them into something fun.  I thought I would share two finished baby quilts I made from pieces that were headed to the trash bin.



A friend of mine brought me this lovely piece to be quilted up.  The pattern is Northern Lights by Jaybird Quilts and it is done in beautiful Kona Solids.


(The straight line quilting is actually done in 5 different colors of thread.)






As she was piecing up the top, she decided the quilt was getting too long and ended up not sewing on the last two pieced strips.

When she brought me the quilt, she gave me these little beauties.








Easiest quilt ever....I simply ripped out one seam on each strip and attached the strips to an older Alexander Henry fabric I had in my stash.



Is this not the most adorable fabric!?


I think the fabric is called "Just Hangin".



My friend also made this quilt using the Ballerina pattern by Jaybird Quilts.

Once again the quilt top was too long but this time a rotary cutter was used to take a few rows off the bottom.





This added a bit of a challenge as once I took a seam ripper to the strips, the triangles were missing big hunks out of the corners.


...but I love a challenge!


With a lot of creativity and a little quilter's caulk sashing, I ended up with this little quilt.

I think the only fabric that came from my stash was two of the side triangles and the 4 strips of sashing.  Everything else was salvaged.







And because yellow and black always make me think of bumblebees,  I ended up having a little fun with the backing.






My Button
So I am off to a good start this year in my goal of finishing up some projects.  The yellow and black quilt I had as my January goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes over at Sew Bitter Sweet Designs.
http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/5198185


I will be celebrating this finish with others at Can I get a Whoop? Whoop? over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, TGIFF, LAFF at Richard and Tanya Quilts, Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts, Show off Saturday at Sew Can She and A Stitch in Time at Such a Sew and Sew. 

January Finishes

25 comments:

Jayne said...

Wow! Both quilts are awesome! I love what you created from orphan blocks and pieces. Its interesting to see the orignial quilts that the leftovers came from. You created 2 totally different ones! Bravo!

Tanyia said...

wow indeed. I would honestly have never thought to even try to make something much less think the end product could like like it was designed that way all along. Very inspirational! I think I am going to be looking at my scraps differently from now on!

Pat Merkle said...

What wonderful quilts! I love it when you get these types of happy accidents! :)

Vera said...

These are pretty. Well done.

Michele T said...

You are very creative!! Love your ideas for using orphan blocks... I don't like wasting either!!

Renee said...

Both of those are so cute! Great way to use up your orphan blocks. I keep mine in a stack in a box, and occasionally use them on the back of quilts as quilt labels, or add borders and make doll quilts.

Anonymous said...

My first reaction was to wonder how Northern Lights came from orphan blocks. Then of course I read the text and saw the connection. :-) Love the two pieces you made and the bumble bee backing is perfect.

Barb N said...

Very clever, my dear! I like them both!

Unknown said...

These really are some great finishes! Love what you did with the scraps :)

Anonymous said...

I like the black and yellow quilts especially. Very pretty.

Colby said...

You're good. I have lots of orphan blocks that need homes and never get around to doing anything with them.

Unknown said...

Very nicely done!! Love your creative solution and new designs. Your work is inspiring, and maybe I will try to use some of my orphans in a new way. Thanks for sharing your lovely finished quilts.

Sara said...

Scraps into another beautiful quilt---love it!

CeLynn said...

I like to re-purpose orphan blocks into other items,usually bags. Congrats on your finish!

Quilt n Queen said...

Congrats on your finish, love the yellow and black...very creative!! Happy stitching, Pauline

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I absolutely adore the quilt made with the Just Hangin Out fabric!!!!

Carole @ Fresh off the Frame said...

Creative solutions with no waste - love it!

Ivani said...

You did great, they are beautiful. Congratulatons on reaching your January Goal. I am also making a happy dance for the same reason. Hugs from Brazil

Paula@TheSassyQuilter said...

I have lots of orphans! Love what you did with this.

Carrie P. said...

how creative you are!

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

Happy Dance for your finishes!!!

Kim said...

I love what you did with the extra qut pieces. They are fantastic! Great job!

Sandy Panagos said...

Those are really great projects! Good for you for finishing your goal.

Elizabeth said...

Wow! Just wow! Those quilt from orphaned blocks are amazing! I love the colors in both of them and the stars are so dynamic in the second one! Fantastic job and thank you for linking up!

xo -E

Val's Quilting Studio said...

First...yes that animal print is adorable!! But you also gave me a good idea of a quick quilt to make with a fat quarter pack I just got. :)Mucho Gracious!

01 09 10