Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt #1 Finish (Part Four)

It was so much fun to discover over the past week how many people were sewing along and having fun with scraps.  A few people have even finished their quilt top so I will be sharing some pictures later in the post!



Here we are at the final post for Quilt #1.  At this step, the quilt should be quilted and bound and ready to share!  Not started yet?  No worries, I will be setting up a separate page with photos of each quilt and links to all the parts so you can sew them up if you so desire in the future.



In Part One, we narrowed our colorways and pulled our scraps.



We also determined our row height and cut our scraps to size.


Part Two had us laying out our blocks and sewing up our strips.


This quilt works great as a leaders and enders project!





Last week in Part Three, we added sashing and talked about some quilting options.


And just how did I quilt mine?




My initial plan was to simply quilt some horizontal straight lines  But because my backing was a stripe, I didn't want to try and match the stripes....









...so I ended up going with some wavy quilting in a black thread.


Another easy peasy quilting design!











Here is a picture of the finished quilt.  It definitely has a very masculine feel to it!

And now for a few statistics:

Size: 46 x 57"
Fabric: Used Parson Gray scraps as Inspiration.  All the fabric came from the scrap bin
Total Pieces: Approx 153 pieces ranging from 1.5" x 5" up to 7" x 5".
Sashing Fabric Used: 3/4 yard



 And some other photos to share using this pattern:





Here is a twin quilt I made alternating red and blue bars of scraps.  Note that even the height of the rows are different to get the best yield out of scrap sizes.









Here is the quilt top finished by Barb over at Mountain Quiltworks.  The blue sashing really sets off nicely the bright colors she chose from her stash.


Such a happy quilt!










Here is a quilt top a non-blogging friend of mine finished this week.  She made this entirely from the scraps leftover from a previous project!  She ran her strips vertically and used varying widths.  I also liked how she only placed sashing between some of the rows.



Love the teal solids in this one!









I wanted to share another quilt of mine using this pattern where I chose not to use any sashing at all.  Instead, I sewed in a small solid strip between the prints in the rows.


This is a great way to use up those leftover chunks of fabrics!



There are a few more projects out there so I hope to add more pictures at a later date.  The fabrics you use and the block sizes you choose can really change the look of these quilts.  I hope you find some inspiration in your scrap bin and give it a try.  Please share pictures if you do...I would love to see them!


Curious what Quilt #2 will be?  You will have to wait until the first week of February to find out!  I will tell you that it will be appropriate for using those bigger chunks of scraps, charm squares or if you precut your scraps into 2 1/2", this quilt will be perfect.  Hope you stay tuned.

Why Scrap-A-Palooza?  Because Quilting is more fun than Housework!


http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/5198185

Linking up with My Quilt Infatuation, Live A Colorful Life, Pretty Bobbins, TGIFF, Richard and Tanya Quilts, Crazy Mom Quilts and Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

FairyFace Designs

If you are sewing along, don't forget to link your Scrap-A-Palooza quilt over at FairyFace Designs for Sarah's Put Your Scraps To Work series.

16 comments:

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

great roundup of scrappy goodness!

Thanks for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Unknown said...

Great job using scraps. I will have to join you for Quilt #2. Nice that you share your thought process from design to quilting.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scraps! Beautiful quilts!

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

Very very cool! Nice series and lovely quilt! Thanks so much for the journey. :)

Lindsey said...

Wow, love how they all turned out! I love your quilting you decided on--it's simple--but makes a great design! I am going to have to try that on one of my quilts!

Would love for you to stop by and link this up at Fabric Frenzy Friday Link Party - tomorrow!

-Lindsey

Fabric Frenzy Friday

Suze said...

What wonderful use of scraps. These quilts are amazing.

Barb Neiwert said...

One down! I'm going to put the binding on this weekend. I like the other quilts, too - thanks for sharing them!

Anonymous said...

I really need to start using up my scraps. Some great inspiration!

Lorna McMahon said...

Gotta love that wavy organic quilting! My favourite quilts in your line up are the one with the white sashing and the one without sashing. All are very beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Jen Crutchfield said...

I'm loving this idea for scrap quilting. I have "scraps" that are left after having made TWO throw size quilts. Honestly, I'm kind of over this fabric (at least for now). Someday I'm gonna have to be finished with it. Maybe this will help me use it up.

LA Paylor said...

Excellent and it does read masculine. It's kind of hard to find a male oriented quilt.
LEeanna Paylor
lapaylor.blogspot.com also working with scraps this week!

Carolyn said...

Such a great scrap quilt! It does really have a masculine feel to it, which can be hard to do with a quilt. Very pretty.

Renee said...

Wonderful use of scraps! I love the simple wavy line quilting!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Great use of scraps! Linda

Michele said...

They all are very nice.

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

These are lovely, thanks for linking up!

01 09 10