Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt #3 Part Two

I am finally enjoying some sunshine!  Both outside and in the sewing studio thanks to this month's Scrap-A-Palooza quilt.  Check out all these pretty colors!





Last week, we determined our colors and sorted and cut our scraps into strips.  I decided to go with these hot colors.

Now it is time to get these sewn up into blocks!








For my quilt, I decided to go with 4 colors and make 5 blocks of each color for a total of 20 blocks. This will make a 40" x 50" quilt.

I randomly sewed my strips into color blocks that were at least 8.5" wide (and over 10.5" long). 

I prefer to cut my blocks to size after they are sewn - I like the better accuracy.






Applying chain piecing methods, I had all four colors sewn up before I knew it!

I also pieced the entire block before I pressed the seams all to one side.










Now each block needs to be trimmed up to 8.5" wide and 10.5" tall.





As soon as all the blocks are trimmed up, they will be ready for the next step.

I sure am enjoying working with these bright, intense colors!










When I can, I always try to incorporate the sashing right onto my blocks.  This makes piecing the top so much easier.  So I chose this white fabric and cut strips 1.5" x 10.5".  You will need two for every block. 











Sew them onto the sides of each block as shown.  Now your block should measure 10.5" square.










To finish up the assignment for this week, just sew up all the blocks for your quilt.  Here are mine...Aren't they so bright and playful!








So here's an overview of the important stuff to do before the next step!

  • Sew your strips into colors blocks
  • Square them up to 8.5" wide  x 10.5" tall
  • Add the sashing strips to the sides to complete the 10.5" square block

 
 This quilt goes together really quickly.  If you haven't joined in in the past, maybe this is the quilt that will get you involved.  If you do join in, let me know so I can share your project.  And if you want to share with your readers what you are up to, there is a button to grab there on the sidebar.
Thanks!



  Remember, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Time to don our sunglasses and do a little scrappy sewing!


http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/5198185


I will be sharing this with the following linky parties. Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts, WIP Wednesday with Freshly Pieced and Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation.  Be sure and check out these blogs for even more quilty inspiration.



16 comments:

thebutterflyquilter said...

Love the your color choices!

Sewgreen said...

I love string color blocks!! Can't wait to see how those turn out!

Kathy S. said...

Love your bright scraps.

Mary R. said...

I love string blocks and am super tempted to jump in on this scrap-palooza. The last thing I need is another project, but we shall see how the sewing part of my day goes.

Jacqui S. said...

Those blocks are going to make a really pretty quilt.

Leatina @ GeoMama said...

I love the colors you chose and finding a project that goes together quickly is always a bonus.

Live a Colorful Life said...

The fabrics and blocks are SO bright and cheery. Really fun.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Neat blocks, I always like strings!

Kris said...

Nice scraps! I think it will be lovely!

Barb Neiwert said...

I've been catching up with my two BOMs, and am almost done with those. I've been 'thinking' about this project - does that count for anything? Not much, I know. Since tv stinks tonight, I think I'll work on this!

Lorna McMahon said...

Yes, spring is here! Right here in your sewing room! Those bright blocks are a wonderful sight to see after this long winter. Looking forward to seeing this come together!

Jasmine said...

I will have to remember this for when I get to using my scraps. Thanks for sharing.

Micki @ 2 Dogs Studio said...

Your fabric remind me of summertime. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Michele said...

Your blocks are great. I love the bright colors that you are using.

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

These are awesome! I always end up with more strips and strings than anything else, so I can't wait to see how this comes together!

Thanks for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Helen in the UK said...

Great use of the scraps. Lovely to see the other variations. Will keep this one in mind for 'taming' my strings! Thanks for sharing :)

01 09 10