Thursday, October 16, 2014

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt #10 Part Two

Sorry to take so long to get part two of this month's Scrap-A-Palooza post finished but I haven't been able to get into my sewing room much this month and I sure picked a bunch of small scraps for this project!  Let's just say I have been chain sewing up a storm!
 
 
 
I started out last week with this pile of pre-cut 3.5" wide pieces.



 
 
 








I just randomly began sewing them into strips.  As I started pinning the strips up on my design wall, I kind of liked the look of the irregular lengths.





I soon had 10 strips sewn and laid them out like this.  When I am sewing a quilt top that I have no firm plan for, I love to just let it evolve right in front of my eyes.


 Once I had the pieced strips how I liked them, it was time to start sewing in the background.  Because my pieced strips are all 3.5" wide, I cut the same width from my background fabric.



Then I just rough cut lengths long enough to fill in the irregular space at the top of each strip.  I simply used the top of my design wall as a guide.


I used the same process for cutting background fabric pieces for the bottom.  Once I had the strip sewn, I did trim them all to a consistent 74" long.  I also cut some 2" pieces to sew between the strips.  These I also trimmed to a 74" length.



Next it was time to sew in the strips.  I did pin these strips all together as I sewed the long seams and I pressed toward the sashing.  This helped to keep the quilt top nice and square.




 Finally I added a 6" border to both sides.  I love how the strips of color float in the top.




The colors in these scraps look fantastic together.  I still have quite a few scraps left so I might have to make a second top with a little different layout.  I think this is a perfect quilt for fall! 


Here's an overview of the important stuff to do before the next step!

  • Create your pieced strips
  • Layout all your strips on your design wall
  • Cut and sew background fabrics to top and bottom of strips
  • Add long sashing strips and borders.
  • And quilt as desired...Easy Peasy!



So that's all there is to this simple lap quilt.  I will be back before the end of the month to share my finished quilt.  Hope I have inspired you to pull some scraps of your own and join in the fun.
And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.
Now go sew up those scraps!
 
 
If you are interested in more ways to follow me, you can find me on Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', Feedly, Instagram, Google +, or get my blog sent right to your email inbox by entering your email address on the right sidebar!
  

Linking up:  
 

13 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh, this is beautiful! I definitely will try this one! Are the 3 1/2 inch pieces different lengths?

JanineMarie said...

It was neat to see how your quilt came together on the wall. And I love how the turquoise fabrics sparkle.

raye said...

this turned out great. It is on my list.

Marlene said...

Love this. Thanks for walking us through the process. Now on my to do list.

Jasmine said...

So neat to see how the quilt evolved. Thanks for sharing your process with us.

Unknown said...

Looks like fun to give this a try. I love your colors. Thanks for sharing. It is a great quilt.

Kat said...

Beautiful colors!! I love the layout.

Vera said...

You are really good when it comes to scraps!

Vicki in MN said...

Another great scrap quilt. I can hardly wait for craft show season to be done so I can play with my scraps!

Patricia said...

Really pretty and neat design.

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

How fun and what a great improv technique you shared here! The offset lines of color is really fun, and you are so right - the color does just float out of the background.

Janet @ Simply Pieced said...

This is such a great way to utilize your scraps! Beautiful top! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

Unknown said...

Creative yet simple. I love it!

01 09 10