Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt #11 Part Two




With the colder temperatures outside, I am more than happy to stay inside and work on this month's Scrap-A-Palooza quilt.  The fun colors and playful fabrics I am using this month are also helping me find my sewing mojo.  I can feel it slowly coming back!







Here is my progress so far...








This month I wanted to make an improv quilt without having to do all the quilt math to join together the blocks.  To achieve this, I am working with the magic number combinations I shared in Part One.  




 
I started with the 12 1/2" blocks.  While I could make the blocks from stars or any manner of block designs, I decided to go with a simple log cabin or courthouse step block.  Starting with a central focus piece, I simply sewed on varying widths of strips until I reached the desired block size.  Many finished out a little larger and I simply squared them up to finish out at 12 1/2".  You can make each block as detailed or as simple as you like.




The next blocks I made were some 6 1/2" blocks.  The three across the bottom are simply cut from a single fabric.  The two on the top are pieced.  You really can sew together the blocks in any fashion you desire - you just need to be sure they measure 6 1/2" when completed.






The really small scraps, I am sewing into the 3 1/2" blocks.  You will need quite a few of these to act as fillers when you go to construct the top (which we will cover next week).  I also plan on cutting some solid white squares to make into 4 patches with some of these pieced blocks.





And remember, your blocks don't have to be square - they just need to have the sides measure one of your magic numbers.  The two whale blocks measure 12 1/2" by 6 1/2".  I am working on a vertical block next from the bird fabric.





As I finish each block, I have been placing it up on my design wall.  This will help guide you on what sizes and colors are needed.  I want my quilt to finish at about 42 by 48".  My next step is to probably add in some solids to help break the chaos up a bit.

I am really enjoying playing with these adorable fabrics!  
I hope to find some time this afternoon to make some more.

Hope you are finding time to spend on those things that make you happy!


If you are interested in more ways to follow me, you can find me on Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', Feedly, Instagram, Google +, or get my blog sent right to your email inbox by entering your email address on the right sidebar!

 
Linking up:
Freshly Pieced
she can quilt (Scraptastic Tuesday) 


8 comments:

Leanne said...

Your quilt is looking like great fun!

Indianna said...

I love the fun fabric, it's going to be a very happy quilt.

Nicky said...

I made a baby quilt with this fabric by Dan Stiles! Love how you are putting it together. Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

Rachaeldaisy said...

Your blocks really make the most of those cute fabrics!!

Unknown said...

The fabric and pattern are perfect together!

Jasmine said...

I am loving the looks of your magic number blocks.

Cindy said...

I'm really liking your magic number ideas, and can't wait for more. I really like this idea. cdahlgren at live dot com

Ruth said...

Love how this is turning out - that whale fabric is gorgeous!

01 09 10