Inspiration for my scrap quilts come from so many different places. I have been thinking about starting another Scrap-A-Palooza quilt and toying with the idea of making a sampler quilt. This weekend when I went to put some scraps away in their color tub and found many of the cool colors too full to close, I knew it was time to move forward on the project.
Looks like this scrap quilt will be blue, turquoise, purple and lime!
One of my favorite resources for blocks is Judy Hopkin's Around the Block series of quilt books. They have been around for a while and if they are no longer in publication, you can probably pick up used copies at a great price.
Each book has hundreds of blocks. And for each block, you are given cut sizes for 5 different block measurements. Just pick the size block you want in your quilt and thumb through all the pretty blocks and all the quilt math is already done for you!
I have been wanting to make a sampler quilt that has an Irish Chain feel to it. In other words, all of the blocks have an X shape to them. And I think I will keep the background scrappy too. So I have thumbed through the book and marked pages with the blocks I like.
Of course, right off the bat I fall in love with this Rosebud block. It didn't really meet my criteria of an X block but I will get it in the quilt somehow. The center square is supposed to be the background color but I thought the little print looked cute (and got me closer to an X - see how I do that!). All of my blocks are going to measure 12 1/2" and I plan on making 25 total blocks.
I will be sharing blocks and their layout on the design wall as I go with this one.
Okay, your turn! What have you been sewing with your scraps!
Now it is time to link up and share what scrappy projects you have worked on this week. Here are the details for linking up:
- This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
- You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
- If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
- If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
- This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
- Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do!
So if you love scrappy projects, feel free to grab my button for your sidebar or posts and get ready to share all your wonderful projects from scraps. And if you have a great idea for using scraps and would like to be featured, feel free to contact me!