I have decided to try and sew a quilt a month using fabrics entirely from my older stash. In January I sewed up some older Jane Sassaman fabrics and made a fun improv quilt.
For February, I thought I would take a stab at turning this pile of fabrics into a quilt. Both the red fabric and the multi colored dots were big enough cuts for a backing so I had options depending on the pattern I picked.
I decided to use the red for the focus print on the front.
I started the quilt with the smallest stash piece I had - and that was the black and white dot. I made as many little 4 patches as I could. To extend the size of the quilt (and to use up more fabric), I used rectangles as my alternate block rather than squares. I love how it looks!
And look...there are the dots on the back. To further use up that old turquoise fabric, I cut it up for the binding. It would not have been my first choice but it looks nice with both the front and the back.
I tried really hard to capture the quilting on this one. I used the placement of the blocks as guides and quilted in some gentle curves that shift across the quilt. This was the best photo and it is still really hard to see.
This quilt measures about 42 x 46". It used up almost all of the fabric and will make a great little quilt for someone.
Every month I will be linking both my goal and my finish for these stash quilt with Heidi over at Red Letter Quilts. February's quilt is finished with over a week to spare!
Crazy Mom Quilts (Finish it up Friday)
Red Letter Quilts (OMG)
A Quilted Passion