Friday, February 19, 2016

Sewing my Stash Finish

I have decided to try and sew a quilt a month using fabrics entirely from my older stash.  In January I sewed up some older Jane Sassaman fabrics and made a fun improv quilt



For February, I thought I would take a stab at turning this pile of fabrics into a quilt.  Both the red fabric and the multi colored dots were big enough cuts for a backing so I had options depending on the pattern I picked.


I decided to use the red for the focus print on the front.



I started the quilt with the smallest stash piece I had - and that was the black and white dot.  I made as many little 4 patches as I could.  To extend the size of the quilt (and to use up more fabric), I used  rectangles as my alternate block rather than squares.  I love how it looks!


And look...there are the dots on the back.  To further use up that old turquoise fabric, I cut it up for the binding.  It would not have been my first choice but it looks nice with both the front and the back.



 I tried really hard to capture the quilting on this one.  I used the placement of the blocks as guides and quilted in some gentle curves that shift across the quilt.  This was the best photo and it is still really hard to see.

This quilt measures about 42 x 46".  It used up almost all of the fabric and will make a great little quilt for someone.  

grab button for RedLetterQuilts 

Every month I will be linking both my goal and my finish for these stash quilt with Heidi over at Red Letter Quilts.  February's quilt is finished with over a week to spare!








Linking Up:

Crazy Mom Quilts (Finish it up Friday)
Red Letter Quilts (OMG)
A Quilted Passion 






23 comments:

Barb Neiwert said...

I love the way you've used the rectangles to staggered the rows. Great pattern, great finish!

Chantal said...

Congrats on reaching your goal AND making a lovely quilt. I love it; it is so dotty! The fabrics really play well together and I think the binding is perfect. Great job. ;^)

Jayne said...

I agree! The rectangles were a perfect idea. Something differrent. Way to go using up some of your stash!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Great job finishing early, and with making such a beautiful quilt using up your old fabrics. Using rectangles is a great idea!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love all the dots! They're so fun together! And such a good idea to put the four patches with rectangles. I've been making four patches for RSC and just now started making bigger four patches by adding squares, but I may like your rectangles better! Congratulations on making your February goal!

em's scrapbag said...

Great use of your stash!

Vicki in MN said...

Awesome stashbuster!!

cityquilter grace said...

very cute and very thrifty too...love shopping the stash!

Patti said...

I love your idea for this quilt! Any idea how large your fabric pieces were? I don't have many pieces over a yard, most are around 1/2 yard. Thanks for sharing your finish!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

That was an awesome fabric pull. And then a wonderful finish. Kudos.

Helen in the UK said...

Love how you used the rectangles rather than squares. It's a wonderful stash quilt and will be loved by it's recipient. Congrats :)

Michele said...

It turned out great and I'm sure it will be treasured by whomever receives it.

Linda said...

Nice finish! The fabrics look great together. I zoomed in on the quilting and love it!

Bonnie said...

What a great challenge. I love how you planned your quilt. Brilliant to take the smallest piece first and make what you could out of it. I'd love to be making quilts from my stash like this but I don't tend to buy big pieces -- half yards just don't a backing make! I have been trying to make every quilt in one of the Quilts for Babies books. I'm not fast at it but I am making progress.

Heidi said...

Good for you - with a week to spare!! You are going to need some serious replenish shopping by the end of the year haha:)

Vera said...

Good job! I'm not done yet but I'm inspired by your drive :)

gayle said...

Now that quilt is a real smile-maker! Love the rectangles - such a great idea!

Lisa J. said...

I'm also in the love the rectangles camp...and very impressed with you using up your older stash. Like the wave in the quilting as well. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF.

Jasmine said...

I really like how the rectangles make the blocks off-set. Great job using your stash.

Nann said...

I am partial to polka dots, too! I like the offset construction (making mental note to remember it). Congratulations on achieving your OMG.

Ana Mo Shoshin said...

Lovely!

Clare M said...

Great use of fabric from stash. Must try this myself. Your pattern is excellent in its simplicity. Love it.

Zenia Rene said...

Way to go. It's very cute!

01 09 10