Sunday, January 6, 2019

Oh Scrap! : Something New

I have been putting a lot of thought on how I want to use my scraps this year.  As I was perusing my Scrap-A-Palooza gallery to come up with a new quilt design, I became side-tracked by my vertical pieced strip quilt.  Hmmm...I have a pile of leftover Kaffe scraps I would love to use up.  
This quilt will be perfect!



I quickly dug through the bin and pulled all the larger chunks in golds, oranges, browns, green, reds and purples.  I cut them up into 2.5 x 4.5" rectangles and 4.5" squares.  (I have still have lots of smaller scraps but I will have to come up with a different plan for those.)



I started sewing them up as a leader/ender project - creating pretty columns of color.  I have no particular plan on what gets sewn, I just try and space the colors and the two sizes apart as I go so it looks good.

I am sure I have something that will work for the background.  But I will cross that bridge once I get all the strips sewn.

I don't think this quilt will take me any time at all!


*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 
Quilting is more fun than Housework






Linking Up:

18 comments:

Ellie said...

Oh! I really like that !

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty columns! These fabrics are gorgeous, and I can't wait to see how the finish quilt will be!

Kate said...

It's amazing how well those busy prints blend when you sew them together. Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

Chrisknits said...

Gorgeous colors!! It will be atunning no matter what you do with it.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

good colors you are doing well using up scraps

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are fun, bright scraps! I'll be interested to see what you choose for the in-between columns!

Jayne said...

Don't you love quick projects! I love your idea of strips sewn in columns. It looks like it'll go together quickly too! My goal this year is to use every scrap of undesirable print fabric and free myself from looking at it and wonder what I thinking when I bought it!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

That's the problem with quilting -- always getting sidetracked!!! That's why I have so many WIPs. LOL

Marti said...

Those are great colors, made even better when stitched together. I'm interested to see what you are going to make that goes together quickly. I like to make a quick quilt between bigger ones.

PaulaB quilts said...

Looks like you’re on track for a good year. Checked out your Scrapaloza and I spent hours going through all the quilts so much to see.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh a good idea for those smaller pieces, I love the KF and PJ fabrics when they're all sewn together in strips, whether long or short.

gayle said...

You had me at Kaffe...

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a great idea. I wish I could work it out to include leaders in my sewing. These look so pretty and autumny to me.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Nope, it won't take you very long to whip up this project and I look forward to seeing what you end up with. I'm sure it will be fantastic!

Nann said...

Oh, such potential in those stacks of Kaffe coins!

Char said...

Nothing like Kaffe fabrics. Can't wait to see this one completed.

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

I don't sew with Kaffe myself, so I'm especially interested in where you take this. Have fun! (Isn't that the beauty of reading blogs? You get to see projects that you wouldn't dream up yourself come to fruition!)

Pink Rose said...

Hi Cynthia wow beautiful work ,i am also your newest follower ,hope you will visit and follow me too.
I look forward to seeing progress on your new quilt design.
Going to check out the link ups ,lots of lovely work there,hope you have a lovely day xx

01 09 10